Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Called a State Farm underwriter in Bloomington,Il. I'm retired from SF my daughter is a SF agent now. The underwriter said as long as you not a sponsored fisherman you are covered (wednesday nighters for example you are covered) sent me all the info in an email from corporate. I have 4 boats, a motorhome , a car and a truck.Been insured over 30 years I have had accidents, one lower unit. Rates have went up across the board with all policyholders but never to MY knowledge to an individual.
    Great reach-out there Joe! Nothing like going straight to the source!!!

As I've said, I'm not insured by SF, but I did a LOT of work for claims centers for over 15 years. Insurance paid most of my bills for 20 years when I owned my towing business. In fact.... insurance still pays our bills being as my wife works for IAA, been there for 35 years. (Figure you know what/who IAA is if you worked for SF.) She tells me here and there that claims adjusters that I used to know still tell her to say 'hi' to me (and I've been retired since 03).

I agree with you on the rates going up. Wowzaa has that happened from time to time.
    I'm just glad my kids are grown, cause' my daughter darned near BROKE us.
    Should have bought stock in the body shop as often as her G6 GTP was there.

For the rest of those still tuned in......
    Almost everyone can get 10% off by doing a driver safety course. (Check with your agent.) Everyone in the house has to take it in their name, and it's just a few bucks on-line. And nope, I didn't just SAY the kids took theirs, I made them get a notebook, take notes, then do the tests. Afterwards just send the certificate to your agent. Saved us about $400 the first year!
    And I'm not sure if it ever expires.

I honestly think I'm still paying too much, because my wife (and 25 yo son) are the only ones that put any real miles on their vehicles. My Infiniti is a 06 and has 33K on it, and the Silverado is 18 months old with 12K on it. If I could pay by the mile I'd get it for pennies!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flranger View Post
    This is only true for Professional anglers, who certainly have higher risks and usage than recreational fisherman. It's a business exclusion, and fairly common in the industry. There certainly are carriers that target the commercial aspect for those who are professionals and treat bass fishing as a business.

If you aren't filing tax returns for your fishing earnings/expenses you are fine.

Before you drop them......ask your trusted marine repair shop who they most like/hate to deal with. You'll stay with State Farm.

My shop won't deal with State Farm and neither will I dropped them when i had a lower unit claim. I hit a submerged tree in the river

i got a quote from state farm on my homes, automobiles and boats and they were more than twice what i pay allstate. my homeowners with allstate on my lake house was 1100 a year and state farm at the time quoted me 2700. how do they get customers?
    Ranger Forever

4. Member
    Maybe you all picked the wrong insurance company

2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    I moved to progressive a few years ago for that very reason. Probley no questions asked if u file a claim with statefarm for small stuff. But if u have a large liability claim for serious injury or death the assigned adjuster will for sure dig into the policly. Check the language in your policy. It will probably have an exclusion for tournament meaning your not covered
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

6. Member
    I hit something last year in my boat when out of town. The first repair shop gave me an 16k dollar estimate to rebuild the hull. State farm sent me the check without even sending someone out. Not sure how to beat that

7. Member
    I made my first hull damage claim last year with Shelter Insurance, I was not in a tournament, but my agent made sure to tell me to never say that I was fishing a tournament on a boat claim.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    I hit something last year in my boat when out of town. The first repair shop gave me an 16k dollar estimate to rebuild the hull. State farm sent me the check without even sending someone out. Not sure how to beat that
    I can beat that $$$ amount, (although not on a boat, YET).

We had a lightning strike in 2016 while we were working on my wife's parents home. (Getting it ready to sell after they passed and came home to find a trench across the yard and none of the home theater electronics working, including all the computer networking components.) Called Nationwide, sent them the photos of the trench across the yard where it traced the invisible dog fence back into the house, as well as the damaged trees, and nothing more than a photo of our hot tub, my TV, and the audio equipment rack. Told them the make and model of each (the TV was 12 years old and $6995 MSRP new). Was up front and told them that the TV was working, but it didn't look right. (Sent them photos.) They paid full retail plus sales tax for it. All in all they paid out almost 50K and never sent anyone out. Come to think of it, they paid for the roof a few years back without sending anyone out as well. (House wasn't but about 12 years old then, built in 2000.)

I've yet to get a cancellation notice from them. And that includes all the darned wrecks my daughter was in that I mentioned earlier!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345