Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Me: Hey (state farm agent) I heard that my insurance wouldn't cover me fishing in tournaments.
    State farm agent: You stupid moron, don't you think I would have told you that? I know you fish tournaments!!!!
    Me: Well there is a guy in the BBC Lounge that said you didn't!!!
    State Farm Agent: ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Those guys know allot about nothing and they let everyone know how much nothing they know every day.
    Me: Ok, so I am covered right???
    State Farm Agent: Yes, have a nice day.
    ME: Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Me: Hey (state farm agent) I heard that my insurance wouldn't cover me fishing in tournaments.
    State farm agent: You stupid moron, don't you think I would have told you that? I know you fish tournaments!!!!
    Me: Well there is a guy in the BBC Lounge that said you didn't!!!
    State Farm Agent: ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Those guys know allot about nothing and they let everyone know how much nothing they know every day.
    Me: Ok, so I am covered right???
    State Farm Agent: Yes, have a nice day.
    ME: Thanks
    You: Hey State Farm Agent, I wrecked my boat fishing a tournament.
    SFA: Sorry, we don't cover that.
    You: YOU told me you did!
    SFA: No, I said some stuff about BBC and never answered your question.
    You: You said I was covered!
    SFA: And you are! Volcano damage.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

3. Member
    I checked with my State Farm agent who checked with their underwriters and...

I can' make more than 50% of my income via tournaments and I can't be sponsored otherwise I'm covered in tournaments.

4. Member
    Here is the deal, I simply provided this information for everyone to check it out. I simply wanted everyone to be aware of what my agent had told me and furthermore what the State Farm corporate office had told me. Right, wrong or indifferent they are the ones I have to deal with if I ever have an issue with my boat. With that said, why would I want coverage from someone who tells me that they won't cover me? My boat is too large of an investment for me to have to worry about whether I am covered or not. If you are comfortable with your agent and your company you should keep it. It doesn't need to be a situation of my company is better than your company or any nonsense like that. I can assure you if someone else would've found out this information I would have wanted to know so I could check for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by waldo27 View Post
    Hey Grayline, understand (and agree) with your point. However, I believe the weight that a vehicle becomes "commercial" when used for profit is 10,001 lbs.
    Maybe so I remember Shaw Grigsby had a 8600 dually pulling a 4600 lb boat and he was over by 100 or so pounds they fined him for not entering the scales.. that's why I hear none of the pros pull with 3/4 ton trucks

Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    Maybe so I remember Shaw Grigsby had a 8600 dually pulling a 4600 lb boat and he was over by 100 or so pounds they fined him for not entering the scales.. that's why I hear none of the pros pull with 3/4 ton trucks
    The dually thing, sponsors all over the sides, and pulling for hire. Things get messy expensive quick.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDD22 View Post
    The dually thing, sponsors all over the sides, and pulling for hire. Things get messy expensive quick.
    Ahhhhh yesssss..... Not just 'sponsors' but a total WRAP, on truck AND boat.
    That sorta' looks like a commercial business dontcha' think?

Like many here, my agent is a long time friend (so to speak), that goes back to the late 80's. He just happens to be Nationwide, insures our home, 5 autos, my sons YZF-R6 (of course it's my bike wink wink, nod nod).... but just happens NOT to be who insures my boat. Didn't ask about tournaments, but as with some companies, they'll give you a quote..... even when they *really REALLY* don't want to write the coverage. They don't deny the coverage, just price it to where if you buy it it's plenty profitable for them.

I've no doubt that our agents (well the ones we've known for years and years) would try to help whenever they could. As we know however, there is no concrete answer to, or solution to.... the problem. The problem with this entire scenario of course is (as we've discussed ad nauseam), there are plenty of fine lines there, with many T's to be crossed and I's to be dotted. As has been stated, look at the exclusions page(s).

I'm just glad that mine pays $1000 a day for boat rental, travel and lodging coverage, and that $1500 lost tournament fee clause. And it was cheaper than the rest!

Bottom line.... READ THE FINE PRINT!
    Last edited by DixieChicken; 01-17-2018 at 06:12 PM.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

8. Puddlepirate198
    I had everything insured with State Farm for about 8 years. Life,home, vehicles, boat. All that good stuff. I broke my prop shaft and it messed some gears up, lost a prop. So I turned it in on insurance. They paid for a new lower unit then sent a letter they were dropping my boat so I went in the next day and cancelled every single thing I had there. Apologized for ever doing business with em and moved on

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stl196 View Post

I can' make more than 50% of my income via tournaments and I can't be sponsored otherwise I'm covered in tournaments.
    This is exactly what my agent told me after she called corporate too.

10. Member
    Define "can't be sponsored". For instance, if I am fishing a divisional tournament that you qualified for via your club (which is sponsored by a variety of companies). Let's say the club gave you some money to offset some of the cost to travel (gas money). Would that be considered being "sponsored"?

Might be a grey area, but hell life is full of grey areas.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo27 View Post
    Define "can't be sponsored". For instance, if I am fishing a divisional tournament that you qualified for via your club (which is sponsored by a variety of companies). Let's say the club gave you some money to offset some of the cost to travel (gas money). Would that be considered being "sponsored"?

Might be a grey area, but hell life is full of grey areas.
    The grey areas are exactly what the insurance companies use to get out of paying a claim.

12. Member
    That is exactly what would worry me.

Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    Have you seen Skeet Reese's tow vehicle? Gary Klein pulls with a F250 as does Ott Defoe. A few others do as well.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle pirate 198 View Post
    I had everything insured with State Farm for about 8 years. Life,home, vehicles, boat. All that good stuff. I broke my prop shaft and it messed some gears up, lost a prop. So I turned it in on insurance. They paid for a new lower unit then sent a letter they were dropping my boat so I went in the next day and cancelled every single thing I had there. Apologized for ever doing business with em and moved on
    Ha sounds like my deal with state farm minus the claim. Had everything insured with them for 20+ years. Home, life, 4 vehicles and boat. Not one claim and one day I get a letter saying boat policy was increasing by 500 dollars a year. I say why I have never had a claim agent says just a rate increase on all boats. I say while I have you on the phone go ahead and cancel all my policies. Agent says just the boat right? I say no all policies and that was the end of my dealings with state farm.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stl196 View Post

Called a State Farm underwriter in Bloomington,Il. I'm retired from SF my daughter is a SF agent now. The underwriter said as long as you not a sponsored fisherman you are covered (wednesday nighters for example you are covered) sent me all the info in an email from corporate. I have 4 boats, a motorhome , a car and a truck.Been insured over 30 years I have had accidents, one lower unit. Rates have went up across the board with all policyholders but never to MY knowledge to an individual.
    Last edited by stratosjoe; 01-18-2018 at 03:42 PM.

16. Member
    I talked to my agent. They only way they won't cover is if you are fishing professionally. They do have a policy to cover that as well. It's just like having a different rate if you use your car in a business

I have discussed this in detail with my state Farm agent and he assures me all is well. If you are a pro or you are doing this as a business such as a guide or something then you are not covered under this policy but , as an amateur you can fish as many tournaments as you want and any size and you are covered/my State Farm agent.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by blckshp55 View Post
    I called State Farm.....they said as long as I don't wear a "fishing jersey", then I'm not a pro!!!! lol
    That is just way too much to ask....Be Strong

19. Banned
    The OP must not have spoken with Jake!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    My SF agent is a personal friend that I have known for over 25 years, and used to be in a bass club together as well (noted that earlier). I sent him the link to this thread and this was his reply. I copied and pasted, so this is a quote (bold below). He has one of the largest agencies in the state.

Calling corporate for information is like calling the IRS for help with your taxes (haha).
    The only reference to exclusions in a boat policy is for "contest involving speed".

Sorry, appears a lot of misinformation floating around.

This is the only correct statement I have seen in this entire thread, at least regarding the companies I represent.

The "policy form" is GOD, not your agent or an underwriter. The policy is a "contract". You need to make sure you have an agent that understands the coverage he sells. If he doesn't or if you question his answers, read your policy!!

The exclusions on the policies I sell also mention a "contest involving speed....or a speed contest" Last I checked, I have never known a tournament angler to take first place in a tournament by weighing his fish in first, or the fastest. Bass boats go fast, but a tournament is not a "speed contest".

Read your own contract and get piece of mind.

M
    Last edited by MMyles; 01-18-2018 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast