Thread: Damaged Cable

Damaged Cable

I can't believe I did that! While running network wire between two units, my 73SV transducer cable(GT52), I managed to run a screw through the cable. So 1) Will it still work? 2) If I try it will it damage my unit? 3) Can I splice it?

2. Banned
    You could be OK if the screw went between the wires. They can be spliced.

3. Member
    I have spliced cables before with success. First made clean cuts on both ends, then slid shrink tubing up one side of wire and larger shrink tubing up other side of cable. Soldered wire, then pulled shrink tubing over and heated to shrink. Repeat with all wires. The mesh wire, I twisted it back together the best I could and covered all wires and splices with the larger shrink tubing. I also covered everything with liquid electrical tape, but have been told since then it isn't water proof anyway.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

4. Member
    Thanks Ring Fry for the information.
    I am pretty sure that the screw cut or exposed some wires. Would testing the unit "short out" and damage the unit? Or would it just not work for all functions?
    Last edited by dfburns2006; 01-16-2018 at 08:16 AM.

5. Member
    Do you really want to take that risk? I'd suggest opening up the cable where the screw went through, inspect and repair the individual wires and then sealing it back up.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Good point. I will that as soon as it warms up and post what I end up doing.

7. Member
    I've done quite a bit of this, cutting and splicing, without problems that I know of. An engineer would likely caution about the care that is needed. I have grafted Hbird transducers to Lowrance units, Lowrance transducers to Hbird units, Raymarine to both with good results. I try to maintain the wire twists, and even the foil wrapping you'll have to remove. But pretty much what I've done would have to be called rather half-a??ed. My experiments with a Garmin unit to non-garmin transducers did not give useful results. The most productive result was a Hbird compact SI transducer to the Lowrance LSS1. Really good results.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    I opened up the cable and found only 1 blue wire that was partially damaged. Since the other wires were intact, I decided to cut and splice the blue wire and leave not touch the others. This was a bit difficult due to working around the other wires, so it ended up a bit sloppy. Everything appears to be working but I will need to test it on the lake to see if I have any issue with readings or interference. I figured that if this quick fix causes significant loss, I can always try again and if necessary cut and splice all of the wires.

9. Member
    I doubt if you'll have any problems.