Changing motor brands

I’m looking at a clean boat with a blown motor. It has had a Johnson fast strike on it since bought new. I’m wanting to put my Merc EFI on it. Just wondering how big of a chore it will be and if there are any secrets that I should know about. I have controls and gauges from my old boat. Would appreciate any input that anyone can give me.

2. Banned
    If you have the controls and tach you're good to go... Just a matter of the time it will take you to switch over... Something else to think about is did the manufacture of the boat zip-tie together the steering cables, control wires, electronic wires... That's the only headache I see... Dan

3. Member
    Not that big a deal just a little time consuming.

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Just tape you new stuff to you old stuff. That way when you pull the old out, it pulls the new in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Just tape you new stuff to you old stuff. That way when you pull the old out, it pulls the new in!!!
    Good advice here!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Good advice^^

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar

8. Member
    Thanks for the input guys.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't forget to reseal the bolt holes on the transom. The fast strike has two built in lifting eyes on each side of the power head. It may be easier to attach a piece of rope from the wiring harness at the control box/ignition switch and pull that back to the motor instead of trying to pull the big red plug thru the boat. Same with the control cables. Pull them back from the motor side.