adding steps to trailer

I am getting old and need to add a way to get in my boat when its still on the trailer. Thinking about steps on front of trailer since I still fish by myself sometimes. Anyone happy with how they have modified their boat to make getting in and out easier. I have a RT 178c.

This thread shows several options.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=#post8991902

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    How old is old? I'm 75, still launch and recover my own boat, 19+ foot Stratos by myself. I make sure the T/M is off, unplug the T/M, double check the T/M speed switch and carefully step/crawl over the front onto the spare tire and then the boat frame. Once lined up it takes me less than 3 minutes to hit the trailer, go over the front, winch it secure and get in the truck.
    I added a square 1 inch aluminum tube about three feet long which I use worm gear hose clamps to secure it to the winch stand. Having that to hold on to makes a world of difference. Make sure you cap the top to ensure you don't cut yourself.

4. Member
    I put a Trick Step on mine. It makes it a lot easier and safer to load and unload. Best thing I've added to my boat.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by va floater View Post
    I put a Trick Step on mine. It makes it a lot easier and safer to load and unload. Best thing I've added to my boat.
    This ^^^^^ Great investment....Make sure that you have your hitch on the first notch though. I scraped my bumper twice before realizing what pinched it. I adjusted the hitch out to the furthest notch and all is good.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

6. Member
    I use these from Northern tool about $32.00 each.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    I'm 70 and launch by myself. I put 2 of the steps from Northern Tool on my trailer. Work great for me. Has reallmade it easier when putting the boat in the water and taking out.

8. Member
    great help, thanks guys. BillNorman showed me a thread with many options and I chose the inexpensive one as shown by MarlinPruuit. It looks like a perfect solution and for a real good price of 72 dollars. If that doesn't work for some reason I will quite trying a cheap fix and go with the trick step. Does anyone with Rt ranger know it that bolts to the tongue, and thanks again for everyones help.

9. Member
    As I recall I used two of the 4 winch stand bolts and had to drill two new holes in the step to mount mine.

10. Member
    Steps are one thing, but the 1 x 1 aluminum pole makes a world of difference. Something to grab. Just make sure it doesn't hit the boat or the tailgate. My spare tire mounts right there on the tongue, I don't think a step would help. If possible, you should get some really big hose clamps and strap them to the winch support. I like those steps from Northern Tool, if I think they'd help my situation, I'd probably buy some.

+1 on the grab bar. I made an inexpensive one from 3/4 pipe after adding the custom steps to my RT188 trailer. I wanted steps that did not extend out the side of the trailer because some of the ramps I use are primitive and require tight turns. My tongue and winch mounted steps meet that requirement but the grab bar adds a lot. Not very attractive but very functional.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. mikesxpress
    Bill those steps and pole look great!! Looks like you bolted the pipe flange to the trailer and went up from there. That has to be pretty sturdy too.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Bill those steps and pole look great!! Looks like you bolted the pipe flange to the trailer and went up from there. That has to be pretty sturdy too.
    Yes I drilled and tapped the trailer tongue to attach the flange. It is very sturdy and provides that little extra balance that I need when entering and exiting the boat. I wanted to make it from one piece but did not have a way to bend the schedule 40 pipe. I am not happy with the unfinished look, but it was the best I could do with hand tools. If I had it to do over, I would have the lower step longer (A guy in CA made the steps for me) and attach the pipe flange to that.

14. Member
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I will try to add the pole also. The added pictures really helped