EchoMap Plus 45cv question

I'm looking for a sonar that will send NMEA depth data out and receive NMEA GPS data in. I also want a unit that works with the 4pin CV20-TM transducer. According to the installation and user manuals (page 4 of http://static.garmin.com/pumac/echoM...llation_EN.pdf ), the EchoMap Plus 45cv is exactly what I'm looking for. Can anyone confirm that it will work with an external GPS? Will it also send NMEA depth data?

2. Banned
    just curios but what is nmea depth.? What transducer does it use.?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    just curios but what is nmea depth.? What transducer does it use.?
    Here's a snippet from the ECHOMAP 40 series installation manual. According to this manual, the ECHOMAP 40 series transmits "SDDBT" and "SDDPT" sentences (depth and depth below the transducer). It doesn't appear to support receiving GPS data ("GPGLL" and "GPRMC").

The transducer I want to use is the 4 pin CV20-TM ( https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/614242#accessories ) which is available bundled with this plotter.

Attached Images Attached Images

I consulted with the echoMAP engineer regarding your NMEA0183 questions. His response is below. Report back with any issues.

Yes, the echoMAP family will take in NMEA0183 GPS data as well as output depth under transducer, which I believe is SDDPT. The user will have to perform some setup steps in the Home->Settings->Communication menu.

Most likely they will need to make these adjustments:

Change the type to NMEA standard
    enable the SDDPT output in the NMEA setup control under Sounder
    ensure the external GPS source is the preferred source for GPS, instead of AUTO or Internal.

The changes might not be limited to these, these are off the top of my head.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    Awesome Todd, thank you very much!

6. Banned
    You guys got me lost on how nmea can pick up depth. Who wants to explain it to me.?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    You guys got me lost on how nmea can pick up depth. Who wants to explain it to me.?
    NMEA 0183 is a serial communications standard and has been around for about as long as marine electronics have existed. It uses standard text "sentences", sent and received via a serial port (RS232 or 422), to share information between different marine electronics.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    I consulted with the echoMAP engineer regarding your NMEA0183 questions. His response is below. Report back with any issues.

Yes, the echoMAP family will take in NMEA0183 GPS data as well as output depth under transducer, which I believe is SDDPT. The user will have to perform some setup steps in the Home->Settings->Communication menu.

Most likely they will need to make these adjustments:

Change the type to NMEA standard
    enable the SDDPT output in the NMEA setup control under Sounder
    ensure the external GPS source is the preferred source for GPS, instead of AUTO or Internal.

The changes might not be limited to these, these are off the top of my head.
    @Todd - So, as far as NMEA 0183 transmit / receive is concerned, are the EchoMap Chirp and EchoMap Plus the same? On paper it appears they are.

9. Member
    This has been an interesting read for me. The installation manual specifically identifies the brown/blue wires in the power cluster as NMEA0183. All along I thought that the mysterious Garmin High Speed Protocol was different. Now they look to be the same protocol. My chirp 93sv has a NMEA2000 connector on the back, but in the power cluster has two extra wires identified in the installation manual as NMEA0183. So yes. On paper they look to be identical. I've not tried any of it though. I use NMEA2000 with the backbone and T's.

The brown/blue wire color makes it confusing though. We've been told repeatedly that Garmin High Speed Protocol is limited to 2 devices. You could write a book about what I don't know about this.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-16-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Member
    NMEA 0183 is an old standard, supported by a wide variety of hardware and software, and is easy to decypher and interface with. NMEA 2000 is a whole 'nother critter and, to be honest, I don't really know too much about it except it allows easier connections between senders / receivers.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dabigkahuna View Post
    NMEA 0183 is a serial communications standard and has been around for about as long as marine electronics have existed. It uses standard text "sentences", sent and received via a serial port (RS232 or 422), to share information between different marine electronics.
    I think I understand now. It actually isn't reading depth it is receiving it from another source. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by dabigkahuna View Post
    @Todd - So, as far as NMEA 0183 transmit / receive is concerned, are the EchoMap Chirp and EchoMap Plus the same? On paper it appears they are.
    Without digging into the code, the engineer was pretty sure they are the same.
    Garmin Pro Team

13. Member
    Thanks Todd!