Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting a lot of chine walk starting at at 66 mph?

Hey guys as the title says I am experiencing a lot of chine walk starting at 66mph which is causing me to have to get out of the throttle. I know that I have to learn to drive the boat to help with the walking but I am just curious as to why its starting so early. I was kinda thinking I would be able to get to at least 70 before it really kicked in. Any help would be great not sure if any of this is caused by my set up but willing to check everything cause its killing me having a G boat that cant keep up with these skeeters down here. Lol!

Boat: 99' 2200
    Motor: 250XB Mercury 1:62 Gears
    Plate: 12" hydro dynamics manual
    Prop: 26P Bravo XS that has been worked to a true 26p by steves custom props in texas
    Last edited by BigStickFishing; 01-15-2018 at 01:35 PM.

2. Member
    At 65 it is standing up on the pad. My 209 and 193 were the same way.

3. Member
    Let me know if you cpme to travis any time soon i will check out the set up and see whats wrong if anything.

4. Member
    Thanks Long Shot. I will be a Travis on Feb 3rd For Bass Champs but wont be in my boat.

5. Member
    Balance will help a lot.. Are you with a passenger or filling the passenger live well?
    2006 Gambler 2200DC/250XS
    Rick Hallenbeck

And where u have motor ...
    if u have hydraulic JP, try running it higher
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

7. Member
    Raise your JP and it will help but be sure and watch your water pressure.

Fill the passenger livewell if by yourself and try again. See if it becomes more manageable.

You need 1:75 gears.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

the gears arent effecting the chinewalk...
    thats from balance/prop to pad height/ steering input...

10. Member
    Mine does it too I have all but given up on trying to figure it out. I can tell you it gets Western at 66 I'd sure hate to see what it does at 72
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

11. Member
    I had a 95, 97, 98, 209 with 225 hp and only time I had this problem is when I trimmed too high

12. Member
    I was going to suggest not trimming as high. My best speeds have come from only bumping the trim a little at a time. If you over trim it will walk, if you have the motor to low on the jackplate, it will walk. I fish a lot by myself, so when trying to get a fast run I always fill the passenger livewell at least halfway. My outlaw is no different handling at WOT than it is at say 65+. Maybe try a 4 blade prop, Trophy Plus props are(from what i hear) the best all around Gambler prop.

on mine i normally find myself trimming down past 60...
    like "UP" trim till u fill the nose of the boat starting to fly high and then constant bumps "DOWN" the faster it gets...
    keep a little tention on the wheel to the Left, and foot to the floor...if it gets too squirrely still, your MOTOR is too LOW...

14. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    If you're not trimming it high enough for it to chinewalk, you're leaving MPH on the table because you're not up and balanced on the pad.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    on mine i normally find myself trimming down past 60...
    like "UP" trim till u fill the nose of the boat starting to fly high and then constant bumps "DOWN" the faster it gets...
    keep a little tention on the wheel to the Left, and foot to the floor...if it gets too squirrely still, your MOTOR is too LOW...
    I will have to try that! Makes a lot of sense!

16. Member
    Thank you everyone for your responses and advice. Does anyone know what a good prop to pad starting point would be to start at so I can test and raise as needed?

A lot of variables not listed in this set up...What kind of lower is it, not many Xb motors came with the 1/62..what is your current prop to pad, most run between 3 to 1 inch below pad depending on the set up.The xs bravo is not the best of props for the 2200 either, but should not be walking that bad..I have ran several boats that the owners said were not drive able,and drove them with one hand...I have found that if the boat set up and balance isnt good, a lot of times the boat will try to walk just as its wanting to get up on the pad, but the drivers usually freak and start to back out..most times a little bump up in the trim will start calming it down..you may be trimming too much also..BUMP trimming is the way you learn, you cannot just lay on the button...your motor may be way low also, and the prop could be out of balance also...It really sounds like a bit of set up and seat time is needed here..That rig should run like its on rails..
    LD

18. Member
    Ldbass55, what do you think is the best prop for 2200?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgamblerman View Post
    Ldbass55, what do you think is the best prop for 2200?
    Mr John, Make sure he knows you have a 2200 with a 300x

20. Member
    Thank You ldbass55 I really appreciate all the info. I bought the XB Motor from a guy that had it on a bullet and he had the gears changed to 1:62. I would love to find someone to change them back to 1:75 but I cant find anyone here in Texas to do it. I am going to pull the boat out this weekend and move my prop to pad up to 3.5" and just start raising it a 1/4" at a time till i find the sweet spot. I will also weigh and organize all my tackle and stuff to offsett my weight on my side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast