Question Sure Grip hook question.

Anyone know what wire they use for the clip on these hooks ?
    I bought some of these several years ago but was unable to locate anymore so I started making my own using the coated wire florists use to tie flower arrangements. It works ok but will rust once the coating is gone.
    I had not seen any of these until Mark Menendez was using them this past week on Fish Hard.
    Sent him a note on facebook inquiring about where he got the hooks..He said the original was sold to a different Co. who is now out of business.

2. Member

A good friend of mine, David Moss, owned Ohio Pro Lure and his Dad was the one who manually added the clip to every one of those hooks. They used a large diameter galvanized wire. I make a similar clip on my hooks...one that does not come over top of the eye like the Sure Grip hooks clip does. I use 24 gauge or 22 guage galvanized wire that I got at the hardware store. It will rust over time, but it takes a while. The original wire on the Sure Grips is heavier than I use...probably 26 or 28 gauge. Dave wanted to retire a couple years ago and sold Ohio Pro Lure to Verbinator Baits Company. As far as I know they are still in business, as they were at a couple outdoors shows that I went to last winter. You might PM BBC member Ranger487 (Mark Franko) another friend of mine who helps Verbinator at the outdoor shows.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Thanks ---
    I don't take mine over the top either and use different gauge depending on size of hook eye.. if to large I have a hard time getting the line through as I put the wire through the eye. I also add a dab of super glue to the wraps. It's time consuming but I sure save a lot of baits and missed fish.
    I first started using them when trying to fish a c-rig around wood. I now use them all the time.