Not Banned

Aluminum question

What is the preferred metal for bolts that will come in contact with aluminum in a marine application? I'm thinking it's stainless but I'm not sure. I'm getting conflicting results while searching Google. I've got a couple heavy duty ram mounts for electronics I've got to mount.

I use stainless on my 2006 that I have had since new and have not seen any ill effects at all. I also use SS rivets since I was popping the aluminum ones. Strictly fresh water use.

I have always used stainless and not had a problem with it ever....and on my little 96 Cherokee some have been there for many years.....
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

4. Member
    They are two different types of metal, stainless is ferrous and aluminum non ferrous, the two are typically compatable, but there are exceptions to every rule. The difference here is that neither stainless or aluminium are magnetic, which is a major contributor to galvonic action. The presents of water can change this. Fresh water is chemically inert, but salt water may very well be a problem. Also, having your boat tied to a dock while charging the on board batteries may create a field that accelerates corrosion. Best bet would be to use plastic washes and 5200 to create a barrier between the two metals.

5. Member
    Got limit is correct, an inert washer is the best, or a coating to separate. In a "recreational boat", I have found blue Lock tight to go a long way, in the right direction.

For stainless to stainless, lock tight is SOP, unless you want to remove easily, then antisieze compatible with stainless.