Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I must be missing something. Why is a lake house more maintenance? I moved from a house on 17 acers and a pond to our current waterfront home on 2 acres. Maintenance is no different on the house, had to grease my boat lifts at the dock once, mowing less grass and changed a few lightbulbs around the beach. That's it. Maybe if it's a second home but living here is no more maintenance then any other home I have lived in.

Quote Originally Posted by BassDad824 View Post
    I must be missing something. Why is a lake house more maintenance? I moved from a house on 17 acers and a pond to our current waterfront home on 2 acres. Maintenance is no different on the house, had to grease my boat lifts at the dock once, mowing less grass and changed a few lightbulbs around the beach. That's it. Maybe if it's a second home but living here is no more maintenance then any other home I have lived in.
    For me its not more than my house but it became to much for me to handle with my bad leg . I've had a vacation home for last 25 years so I know what it takes , also a lake house costs me $1000.00
    a month with everything paid for . But money didn't matter to me but if your going to buy a second home keep in mind what the total costs will be .

3. Member
    Going on 4 years with a lake place and it's still the best purchase I've made, I would do it ago in a heartbeat. Being able to walk down to the dock jump in the boat and go will never get old.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    For me its not more than my house but it became to much for me to handle with my bad leg . I've had a vacation home for last 25 years so I know what it takes , also a lake house costs me $1000.00
    a month with everything paid for . But money didn't matter to me but if your going to buy a second home keep in mind what the total costs will be .
    I understand you there. Any second home can be a pain but when you live there full-time and it's not a strong current river or freezes rock hard, you should be fine.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I understand you there. Any second home can be a pain but when you live there full-time and it's not a strong current river or freezes rock hard, you should be fine.
    The river in front of my house has a strong current and it freezes when it gets really cold and other than spending an hour in the fall and an hour in the spring to deal with the dock, there's still no more maintenance here on my waterfront house than there was when I lived in the city.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    One thing to consider with being in a canal is how much water is in said canal and if you have to lock through to get to any of the bigger water. My grandparents had a place in okeechobee and during a couple of years the water was so low they couldn't lock to the big lake.they still had water to fish off the dock but my grandpa was pretty bumbed. Happened after they had already been there 7-8 yrs and the thought never crossed his mind. Here in Michigan we occasionally have to pay to have our canals dredged so we can have access to main lake. Just something to consider

I live on the water and have a bass boat on a covered boat lift at my back door and to be honest I fished more when I trailered my boat 40 miles each way to go. Then I never worred about the tide or wind and just went and stayed all day. Now I look out the window and if the tides not right or the weather is not to my liking I don't go and if I do go and don't catch anything in the first hour or so I usually come home. It's a sad story but true! Don't let that happen to you.

8. Member
    My mom just bought a place on lake Gaston last year. Easy answer I LOVE IT!!! As to some of the thought as to maintenance, I don't feel that there is a lot more, but not being there full time there is less time to complete tasks. In our case my mom owns it but my family and my brothers family takes care of most of the maintenance. As far as enjoying it. I don't fish every minute, but I live on the dock. I enjoy fishing, riding on the pontoon, swimming, partying, etc.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    The river in front of my house has a strong current and it freezes when it gets really cold and other than spending an hour in the fall and an hour in the spring to deal with the dock, there's still no more maintenance here on my waterfront house than there was when I lived in the city.
    That's really what I'm saying. I am on a big lake that rarely freezes hard so no additional maintenance than any other home. I was just speculating on what could cause additional problems.

10. Member
    Good points guys, I can see where maintenance costs would be a factor when its a second home, but this will be my primary residence, so no different than any other home, the yard is very small, with room for the home a boat and truck and a shed and not a lot else, so upkeep wouldn't be bad.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbassman4 View Post
    One thing to consider with being in a canal is how much water is in said canal and if you have to lock through to get to any of the bigger water. My grandparents had a place in okeechobee and during a couple of years the water was so low they couldn't lock to the big lake.they still had water to fish off the dock but my grandpa was pretty bumbed. Happened after they had already been there 7-8 yrs and the thought never crossed his mind. Here in Michigan we occasionally have to pay to have our canals dredged so we can have access to main lake. Just something to consider
    Very good point, and yes, that could happen here too, but if it does, there is a ramp 2 minutes walking distance from the home that will be accessible no matter what the water level. There is also a ramp pretty much next door to the home ( I can see it from the kitchen lol) At this time, I doubt I will ever keep the boat in a slip, because, I wouldn't be fishing daily, and also, I like to go to other lakes in the area too.

12. Banned
    Weekend should be fun living next to ramp... Dan

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    Weekend should be fun living next to ramp... Dan
    LOL, no, this ramp is for neighborhood use only, so On the weekends when the ramp is nuts, i can put in there and idle out to the lake and avoid the craziness...

14. Member
    I have been a seasonal camper for a lot of years. Our campground is 90% seasonal so we have made a lot of freinds there. Plus Chautauqua has many other things to do which makes it a nice varied destination. Spring/fall steelhead fishing, summer bass, Lake Erie close by, wineries, Chautauqua Institution, on and on.

Take a a look at Park Models. They offer much larger living space, the ability to do a deck and fixed roof and more importantly less maintenance than RV's. Less chance of leaks with shingled roofs and siding options. They are a good value when compared to a RV. If you are permanently parked, you are paying for a lot of features in a RV that you aren't using. Good luck.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

15. Member
    You only live once.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakalong View Post
    Going on 4 years with a lake place and it's still the best purchase I've made, I would do it ago in a heartbeat. Being able to walk down to the dock jump in the boat and go will never get old.
    Same for us. We looked for a couple years as I was very specific on where I wanted to be. Don't settle. Get what you want and you'll never regret it.

I use it to keep my sanity. Last weekend we were there and even though it was bone cold, never tire of the relaxing view.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    This pretty much describes my situation except I do have two boats. The tin one is on a marine railway and always ready to go and the glass one is a garage queen that I use to fish tournaments and take trips to the dozen or so area waters that I also like to fish. I put the same amount of hours on each boat each year. I hated having to launch to go fish in my backyard and I found that if I had to go through the hassle of hooking up and launching it wasn't worth the effort to just head out for a few hours.

Living on the water is awesome. It's never gotten stale for me and I doubt it ever will.
    If you don't mind the question, what lake are you on?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    Like getting married to have sex. Once the "new" wears off, it becomes routine like going to work. I'd look for something thst requires litt to no maintenance. Gravel yard, metal roof and such. Good luck.

What?! Apparently you’re doing it wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    What?! Apparently you’re doing it wrong!
    Not after 45yrs. She might be doing it Wrong but no me.
    I got nothin

20. Member
    I have lived fulltime or owned a weekend place where you are thinking about buying for 35 years. I now have a mobile home there where I stay 3-5 days a week. For me living there full time got old but a lot of it was because of bad neighbors. Depending on which canal you are on they do get too shallow to use during some months. That area is a very unique and not for everyone. Good luck..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast