Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Fluorocarbon vs Braid For Pitching or Skippin' a Jig?

Which line would be best to use and what technique would it be best for? Hopefully I'll get this question answered. In the past not really been a jig fisherman but the time has come to start. I've pitched a jig a few times using Power Pro 30# braid when around fairly heavy cover. When attempting to skip docks not so much Next step, hopefully, skipping docks. Sure would appreciate some advise on which line type to use with what technique of jig fishing for Bass?

I use both. Every rod I have now has braid on it with some type of leader. mono or fluro. If you are just learning on dock skipping start with mono first. Your going to backlash. Neither braid or fluro do good with over runs. Once you get yourself used to it then switch over to fluro
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

3. Member
    I'd never use mono on a jig, way too much stretch. I personally use Seagur Invizx 20# in heavy cover, around rocks and to skip docks. The only time I use braid is in grass.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

4. Banned
    Thank you Steve. I appreciate you advise. I do remember Tuckertown several years ago and up at Kerr Lake which was the only other time I have ever worked a jig. I wanted to get your advise in this concern and know it is done, Thanks. I heard that at the Raleigh show. Is Seagar Invizx 20# very stiff fluorocarbon to either flip or pitch under docks? Also is there any advise you may have in establishing a good technique for skipping a jig either under docks or low overhangs?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    I'd never use mono on a jig, way too much stretch. I personally use Seagur Invizx 20# in heavy cover, around rocks and to skip docks. The only time I use braid is in grass.
    I'm with Steve on this, Flouro all the way. 20 lb. Seaguar Invizx primary and braid when in grass.

Didn't say a word about using mono to "fish" the jig. Mono is way cheaper when you have to cut it out after big backlashes when your just learning to skip. Your $$
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

7. Member
    Sorry RB my mind saw mono and went with it.

My best advice (one I often ignore) is let the jig do the work, don't try and power it there. I'd also start with a heavier jig, 1/2 oz. Start with your reel tightened down so when you push the button the jig falls at a slow to moderate pace. If you hit the button and it plummets to the ground then its way to fast to start with. You can do the tape trick (make a moderate cast, then wind some light tape a turn or two on the spool before reeling back to help with back lashes.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

I Would strongly advise you not to use braid. You will backlash and it is a bitch to dig braid out. You would be surprised but I know a lot of the guys who win a lot of money with skipping jigs use Izorline.

Also start with a chunk style trailer helps a lot. Truesouth Fathead jig skips about as good as any money can buy

10. Member
    I skip and pitch with 15# red label. Keep your elbow tight to your side when you are skipping.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Didn't say a word about using mono to "fish" the jig. Mono is way cheaper when you have to cut it out after big backlashes when your just learning to skip. Your $$
    So backlashes are part of skippin' jigs under and around docks? Sounds Like some sort of thing Steve Dryer come up with! I have skipped a very little and never managed to do that. That's OK though I got more line to replace everything if need be.

12. Mike Lamb
    good tip I have used in the past. Go to a dock and make a pitch / skip up under the dock. Take out little extra line. Then put electrical tape around the spool. wind it in. Now when you mess up. It will not cause issue. That is how I have learned with out the down time of picking out backlash.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Heelman99 View Post
    So backlashes are part of skippin' jigs under and around docks? Sounds Like some sort of thing Steve Dryer come up with! I have skipped a very little and never managed to do that. That's OK though I got more line to replace everything if need be.
    Only when you first start. Once you get it down you'll hardly ever backlash. While your learning,learn to skip under pontoon boats

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike28nc View Post
    good tip I have used in the past. Go to a dock and make a pitch / skip up under the dock. Take out little extra line. Then put electrical tape around the spool. wind it in. Now when you mess up. It will not cause issue. That is how I have learned with out the down time of picking out backlash.
    This helps a lot...

15. Banned
    Straight braid. Those are reaction bites.

I use 14 or 17 lb floro for skipping, I am anti-braid 90% of the time. Steve is right about starting with a 1/2oz, when I first tried it, it was with a 1/4 oz and never could make it work good even on spinning tackle one day I was fishing a 1/2oz swim jig around docks and tried skipping it for chits and giggles and boom... I could do it.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

17. Banned
    I love seeing these threads about dock fishing. The more people fishing them means more fish for me. Lol.

18. Banned
    My feelings exactly!

19. Banned
    No matter how long you've been doing it or how good you are at it, if your getting your bait to the back of the docks your going to backlash every once in a while. If you never get backlashes when flipping docks ... well your doing it wrong. 20# big game or original stren mono.

20. Banned
    Thanks Huckleberry. I expect to do some practicing by Spring in hopes of limiting the amount and severity of my backlashes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast