Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Ruptured Achilles Tendon

I ruptured my Achilles Tendon last night. Seeing a surgeon today to get a plan. For those that have had the surgery lets hear what I'm getting ready to face.

2. Banned
    Months of pain, at least mine was, but I also ripped my calf muscle at the same time.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Partie Deux View Post
    Months of pain, at least mine was, but I also ripped my calf muscle at the same time.
    my calf hurts like a mother right now too so I'm hoping I didn't do that as well.

4. Member
    What the heck were you doing?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    What the heck were you doing?
    playing basketball, pump faked a guy and started to go around him and he stepped on the back of my ankle then a real loud "pop" went off. I'm about half scared right now. Read a ton of bad stuff about this surgery.

A buddy popped his while water skiing. He was limped up for several months. All is better now.

Hate to hear it. Best of luck. Follow the doc's orders.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

8. Member
    Expect an operation. Take the drugs.

9. Member
    Friend of mine did it exact same way. He was laid up for awhile and is back to playing ball. He is the head coach of a local high school and plays just as much now as before pain free. He jokes about getting the surgery on the other one since the one he had surgery on feels like new.

10. Member
    Sounds like mine ruptured and basically pulled away where it attaches at the heel.

I had a complete rupture. Make sure to get the nerve block from the knee down. You will be glad you did. After the surgery do as the DR says and start taking pain meds even though your leg is still numb. If you don't you want be able to get the pain stopped. After the first couple of days its really not that bad. I heard horror stories about all the pain and mine really wasn't that bad. One thing that sucks is sleeping with the boot on. My DR didn't put me in a cast. Your foot will feel like it is on fire and I guess that's just part of it. Get ready for 4-8 weeks of non weight bearing. Do yourself a favor and get a knee scooter. Be a good idea to go ahead and get it before surgery. Crutches suck.
    http://www.1800wheelchair.com/produc...e-knee-walker/

I had a total, severed about 3" above my heel. Surgery went well but the nerve block inserted severed my nerves below the knee. Lost 75% of my motor nerves and 65% of my sensory nerves. Talk about a bitch!
    Very hard to walk.
    I am not delusional,
    I see all illusions!

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vandamit View Post
    playing basketball, pump faked a guy and started to go around him and he stepped on the back of my ankle then a real loud "pop" went off. I'm about half scared right now. Read a ton of bad stuff about this surgery.
    Hurt mine playing basketball as well.

It's amazing how loud that pop sounds when it happens.

14. Member
    Terrible operation expect a long recovery and hope it holds as most do not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Partie Deux View Post
    Hurt mine playing basketball as well.

It's amazing how loud that pop sounds when it happens.
    Sounds almost like a .22 going off. When I tore mine I thought I had been shot at first.

Currently recovering from a partial tear. No pain after surgery but recovery is very slow with some pain. Don’t get in a hurry and follow orders. Hang in there. Worst part is no activity. Watch your food intake because you won’t be as active. I should have planned to lose weight during my down time, instead I gained. Good luck!
    used a knee scooter to get around until I could get out of the boot.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Co worker tore his last fall playing basketball. Opted non surgery treatment wore a boot. 3 months later he tore it again just walking.
    Had surgery this time.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

18. Member
    Popped mine playing B-ball at your age also. My doctor suggested an alternative to surgery which has worked out well for 16 years with little to no pain. They discovered that your Achilles’ tendon will actually grow back together it requires a full length cast from foot to groin with your foot pointed straight for 3 months. Rehab was definitely painful as was when a masseuse work on the scar tissue, before the scar tissue was broken up i had 50% range of motion, after scar tissue was worked on i had 90% but extremely painful.
    I continued to fish tournaments (team) while in the cast with only anti inflammatory meds. Swelling will continue for about a year and cafe atrophy lasts for years.
    Good Luck.

19. Member
    Best of luck!

20. Member
    Thanks guys i appreciate all the info. He said if mine did rupture at the heel like he thinks he will have to insert an anchor in my foot to have something to tie it to. That doesnt sound good at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast