Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    Cobra is rage other one. That is the one he took a 400 series and splashed.
    Cobra & Viper are the same depending on the owner of the company at the time. I wasn't aware that John Storie ever worked for Cobra/Viper. I was thinking his non-compete from the sale of Champion prevented that or maybe just prevented him designing another deep V wedge hull. Story I got was he was contracted by Cobra to do some design work on their hull and splashed a Ranger 400 series hull as the basis. He then was contracted by Fisher to work on their line. That resulted an a lawsuit filed by Cobra against Fisher as the two boats looked almost identical. I don't know if that had anything to do with Johnny Morris closing the Fisher line or not. John did form Hawk and built them for a few years. Another very close design to Cobra & Fisher. He ultimately sold Hawk to Randy Qualls and Legend was born. The Stratos Elites were the 3 best selling Champion boats, 210, 202 & 183 re-branded to Stratos when Champion shut down. the first year of the Stratos Elites had Stratos decals on the side and Champion logos on the seats fronts of the consoles. I know some boats were sold those last 3 years where the purchaser wanted the Champion decals on the side and front of the consoles and was able to get them.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Cobra & Viper are the same depending on the owner of the company at the time. I wasn't aware that John Storie ever worked for Cobra/Viper. I was thinking his non-compete from the sale of Champion prevented that or maybe just prevented him designing another deep V wedge hull. Story I got was he was contracted by Cobra to do some design work on their hull and splashed a Ranger 400 series hull as the basis. He then was contracted by Fisher to work on their line. That resulted an a lawsuit filed by Cobra against Fisher as the two boats looked almost identical. I don't know if that had anything to do with Johnny Morris closing the Fisher line or not. John did form Hawk and built them for a few years. Another very close design to Cobra & Fisher. He ultimately sold Hawk to Randy Qualls and Legend was born. The Stratos Elites were the 3 best selling Champion boats, 210, 202 & 183 re-branded to Stratos when Champion shut down. the first year of the Stratos Elites had Stratos decals on the side and Champion logos on the seats fronts of the consoles. I know some boats were sold those last 3 years where the purchaser wanted the Champion decals on the side and front of the consoles and was able to get them.

I believe Cobra was the original company and then later became Viper or Cobra/Viper. He definitely tweaked the hull to make it run, ride, and drive much better than the 400 series Ranger.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    Getting back to the original question, I had a cleat added to the port side at the console. I find that with a partner, which is how I normally fish, I will let him tie up on that side first. The boat comes with three cleats on the starboard side and two on port.
    Good info.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    I believe Cobra was the original company and then later became Viper or Cobra/Viper. He definitely tweaked the hull to make it run, ride, and drive much better than the 400 series Ranger.
    No doubt ... He did quite a bit of work to the pad and turning chines. I've got a buddy I fish with on occasion that has a Ranger 461 and it will swap ends with you if you really crank it in a turn with power. The Cobra won't do that, nor will the Legend.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    No doubt ... He did quite a bit of work to the pad and turning chines. I've got a buddy I fish with on occasion that has a Ranger 461 and it will swap ends with you if you really crank it in a turn with power. The Cobra won't do that, nor will the Legend.
    10-4. That’s why I really like my 216.

Storie sold Champion, started Viper, then combined Viper/Cobra (I think with another partner or new capital), then started Hawk, got sued by Viper/Cobra and won, then sold the hulls to Legend. Yes, he tool up some hulls for Fisher under cobra/Viper.

So time line:
    - Champion (no compete contract with new owner Porthouse he couldn't build deep V Wedge hulls)
    - Viper/Cobra (splashed a 400 series Ranger, which wasn't a deep V wedge hull & also tooled hulls for Fisher)
    - Hawk (Splash of a Viper which is a splash of a 400 series Ranger)
    - Legend (bought the hulls from Hawk and built off em for a while until they developed the Alpha series which are all their own).

7. Member
    On the 210 charger are the rod boxes and storage boxes all water tight? I didnt see a rubber seal on front rod boxes and storage box, surely it doesnt leak!!!

Under the lids are completely covered with rubber seal. Like a large pad. No individual single run of seal around compartment lip. I've seen something similar in Jason Christies boat I think.
    I got nothin

9. Banned
    I'd say for the prices they're charging they better be water tight... And then some... Dan

10. Member
    What boat isnt water tight these days?

11. Member
    According to Xpress owners, they arent!

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    What boat isnt water tight these days?

Almost swear that I’ve read about complaints on BassCats, I might be wrong though.

13. Member
    The 2017 210 I looked at did not have any latches for any of the compartments. All boat compartments will get a little wet if it rains hard enough.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Almost swear that I’ve read about complaints on BassCats, I might be wrong though.
    Phoenix has had issues of leaky lockers, not Basscat that I have ever read about.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    The 2017 210 I looked at did not have any latches for any of the compartments. All boat compartments will get a little wet if it rains hard enough.
    That because they went with the Champion tradition of no latches just straps to open the boxes with. Not sure about the Charger 210, but Champion never had a issue with compartments.

16. Member
    The Champ that I use to own never had any issues with water getting in compartments. Don’t think the Charger 210 will either. I like the no metal latches because the straps don’t get hot during summer days and burn your hand.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Phoenix has had issues of leaky lockers, not Basscat that I have ever read about.
    Basscat rod lockers are notorious for getting wet, mine did

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Don’t know if there’s a true water tight box on the market as I see a lot of different brands with tackle boxes laying out after a rainy day of tournament fishing.

19. Member
    I have yet to find a brand that you can guarantee won't get water in a storage box in some conditions. If the box is truly water tight it will sweat and get condensation in it with temp changes if nothing else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12