getting into making jig skirts

What are your go to purchases for skirts?
    where do you buy them do you buy rubber and silicone?
    what is the most common rubber skirt grade? fine,etc
    I’m just starting and having a hard time trying to start without spending 200 plus on skirts
    Last edited by GoneFishingLTN; 01-15-2018 at 11:12 AM.

2. Member
    What are your go to purchases for skirts...browns, greens, dark oranges, black, blue

where do you buy them do you buy rubber and silicone....SILICONE www.fishingskirts.com RUBBER livingrubber.com

what is the most common rubber skirt grade? medium for me

what are your favorites I don't really understand this question as it changes from day to day and sometimes hour to hour.

3. Member
    [QUOTE=Jig_Man;9012066]What are your go to purchases for skirts...browns, greens, dark oranges, black, blue

Yep, these colors will do 95%, add white and chartreuse if making spinnerbait skirts. Making combo colors that work is the fun.

4. Member
    When would you want to use fine? Should I just mainly buy medium then for rubber? Trying to learn when each has there place.... like do you use medium for the base color then for a couple stands of orange use fine? Or just use silicon for the add on colors

5. Member
    When it comes to skirt material you don't need to over think it. When it comes to silicone all you need to worry about is color for the most part, rubber is a little different and I'll try to help. Some guys like the old square rubber that is now making a comeback, most guys are just following a trend but there are some who have experience with it and prefer it. There is round rubber which most places usually sell fine and regular which is medium, and then there is heavy, the difference is how wide each strand is. Fine cut material has about 60 strands in a 1" width, the regular or medium has 40 strands and the heavy has 30. The fine cut separates fast in the water and has a lot of movement in the water, it is used mostly in combination with silicone or with heavier rubber. You will see full skirts made with fine but it takes a lot of material because even 120 strands of it looks sparse and doesn't have a lot of bulk so you need a lot of it to make a large profile. The regular or medium size round rubber is used the most, it too is using in combination with silicone and fine rubber but full rubber skirts are made from this. Heavy rubber is also used in combination with other materials as well as alone but I don't see it used as much since the square rubber has been becoming popular. Square rubber is liked by a lot of anglers because it has a lot of movement like the round rubber but it offers more bulk with less strands which makes for a unique profile in the water that fish aren't accustomed to seeing. So that is the best way I can explain it, so deciding what to get is really about having experience and what works for you, if you haven't used any then I suggest picking up a little of each and try them for yourself. The last thing is finesse silicone skirting, this has the same amount of strands as regular silicone skirt tabs, the tab itself is about half the thickness of regular silicone, so if you put 1 tab of it on top of another tab it would be the same thickness as a regular silicone tab. They aren't used much, I use them on finesse jigs because I like that I can use 44 strands of skirt without any extra bulk and it actually flares out and falls slower than the normal silicone tabs but like I said, they are best used on smaller jigs. That is all I can really tell you, I hope it helps.

6. Member
    I have watched alot of smalljaw67’s videos.

I would love to spend a week with him to try and learn as much as possible.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

7. Member
    Thank you so much. Couple more question what jig tying kit would you recommend? Vice etc... and how do you add rattles by tieing?

8. Member
    I can't help with rattles but for bass jigs I prefer just a 3-4" bench vise.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    I can't help with rattles but for bass jigs I prefer just a 3-4" bench vise.
    Yeah I’ll only be making it for bass jigs. Are there any good kits with the vise and the other supply’s needed?

10. Member
    You don't need a tying kit. You can get a vise at most any HDW store or Harbor Freight. Get some floral wire like 24 ga. a couple of pairs of pliers to hold and pull the wire, some side cutters to cut the wire, and a pair of scissors to cut the material.

Put the jig in the vise hold your skirt in place, wrap the wire around a couple of times, pull it tight with the pliers, wind the tag ends together, cut them off, fold them down, cut the skirt to length and move to another jig.