Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

looking at Harleys got a question for you all

wife and I are going this weekend to look at Harleys. planning on getting one the first part of spring.
    mainly looking at Softails since most rides will be local and a few overnighters here and there.
    question for you all is on the odd occasion once a year we might take a multi day longer trip and head out west or whatever. I know the Softail isn't the "best" per say at that but wanted to see if you all have done something like that with 2 up and gear for a long trip on a softail.

2. Member
    My first bike was a Street Glide really enjoyed that bike! Now I have Road King and I really like the open front end no fairing! I do ride with the windshield. The Softails do have a different frame and for riding around local and short runs you would be fine. If you will be riding two up often I think your riding time will be much more enjoyable on a touring model and they are just as nice around town as the Softails! The beauty of a touring you have saddle bags to put jackets etc. and for overnighters you can just fills your bags and your good to go!
    Another thing that will help you make a informed decision is to rent a bike for a day of both models and then you'll know!

most of the Heritage bikes I'm looking at I'm particular all have saddle bags to start with.
    the last bike I had was a Sportster I bought cheap and I done all kinds of stuff to it. lowered it bobbed it repainted it Apes and so on. but then it was just something for me not the wife(now X-Wife) she had no interest in it.
    this time my wife is really interested in going and doing some longer runs for 2-3 nights and so on.
    I know the touring bikes would be better like the Road Kings but she dosent like the look of those as much as the Heritage

4. Member
    You can do it, but your passenger won't be comfortable at all, I had a softail deluxe, ended up trading it for a Road King special.

5. Member
    I have been through a few harleys. Sportster, softail , lowrider and now a street glide. While i have done (and enjoyed) longer trips with all of these, since i bought the street glide, i would never go back. The softail will work for what you want, but you may consider going with some type of touring bike.

6. Member
    Your right the Heritage does have bags etc. but the one thing is comfort for two up! Not to say the Heritage will not be comfortable for you two but the space you get from a touring is a big plus! The touring models are just as fun as the
    Sportster, softail , lowrider! The thing is with a touring you can take the trips and feel very comfortable. The frames on the softails are different than the touring check specs and don't forget size does matter! Test ride the touring with a backrest for your wife and it will be all over my wife loves the comfort!
    Post pictures after you buy it!
    Good Luck...

Well we took a drive today and stopped at a few dealers. To check some bikes out. Looked at a lot of different ones. Road kings, softail deuce, heritage softail, glides and so on. We ended up finding a really nice heritage that was loaded with everything we wanted. Nice 2 up seat and backrest, Vance and Hines pipes and so on and was a really good deal and I just couldn't pass it up so we signed papers on it today. They are putting new tires on it and with work and opening weekend of hunting season on the 10th I'll be picking it up on the 12th
    I'll have to post up pictures later of it but we are both very happy with the bike

Congrats on the new ride !!

9. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar

10. Member
    Congrats and be safe!

11. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar
    Congrats Luke, You guy's need to hook up with Cathy and I for some riding, we just did a 727 mile ride through northern Arkansas this past weekend..

Nice Rodney we will have to do that.
    AR is one ride we are gonna take that is for sure

here are a couple of pics of the new bike
    HD1 by legacy_hunter02, on Flickr

HD2 by legacy_hunter02, on Flickr

13. Member
    Nice!
    Be safe and take your time to get to know the bike!

14. Member
    Very slick! Congratulations!

15. Member
    You might want to purchase a higher quality seat if you plan to ride long distances. You will be glad you did. I have been riding 49 years and that was the first thing I did on my last Road King when I bought it was replaced the factory seat. It really does make a big difference!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    You might want to purchase a higher quality seat if you plan to ride long distances. You will be glad you did. I have been riding 49 years and that was the first thing I did on my last Road King when I bought it was replaced the factory seat. It really does make a big difference!
    Agree on the seat, I have put a Mustang seat on my last three bikes. Not pillow soft, but that means it won’t squash during a ride. You can do hours and get off fresh.

17. Member
    I agree the right seat makes riding more enjoyable! Check out C&C seats .com they are by far the best seat out there in my opinion! Awesome customer service and they take the time to discuss options! Ask for Chuck! I'm on my second seat had one made for my StreetGlide and now for my RoadKing!

ill take a look at seats after a few rides thanks for the advise fellas.
    I had a Mustang Solo seat on my last bike and it was nice.

19. Member
    Nice looking bike, don't forget to adjust the rear shock properly for load based on solo or 2 up riding. Interesting to see foot boards for the passenger but pegs for the driver. Seat does make all the difference, I ride solo but put on a seat with the driver backrest to help with those longer rides.

I really like the pegs in the front vs rhe floorboards and the wife wanted floorboards vs rhe pegs on the back so it worked out great there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast