talons holding power

i have one - eight foot talon on a champ 187. when deployed in rough water at say 4 to 5 foot depth with the rough water function set it will not hold. anyone else have this problem.
    i'm about to trade it in on a power pole.

2. Member
    if the talon does not hold in that rough water i don't think the power will either.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sns 171 View Post
    i have one - eight foot talon on a champ 187. when deployed in rough water at say 4 to 5 foot depth with the rough water function set it will not hold. anyone else have this problem.
    i'm about to trade it in on a power pole.
    How rough of water are you talking about. The Talon, in rough water mode, uses a shock type setup to keep it in touch with the bottom, but even that has limitations.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    My dual 12s even on 10ft of water old enough to have water coming over the back deck. I sure can't complain.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeback View Post
    My dual 12s even on 10ft of water old enough to have water coming over the back deck. I sure can't complain.
    Same here

6. Member
    I've had my dual 8' poles down in horrendous wind and waves and they always hold. Like stated above water will start coming over the gunnels and they won't release.

7. Member
    Obviously, 1 Talon has half the holding power of two. Also, the substrate you're over affects holding power - rock not too good, sand great, muck holds like cement shoes. Heavy current also affects anchoring power. These factors affect all brands equally.

My Talons hold very well. I do not have down force numbers to quantify how well but when deployed, my boat raises at the stern so I know there is ample downward force being applied.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srt1010 View Post
    Same here
    x3 I have 10' Talons ( old picture in signature)
    Shawn.D
    2015 Phoenix 618pro w/ 150 Evinrude Etec HO

9. Member
    thanks
    my last basscat P2 with 1 PP would hold in sustained 25 mph winds and gusts up to 35. the current champ with the talon breaks loose in 15 mph wind, soft bottom or hard bottom, with or without the rough water function engaged.

There's a big difference between the depth finder reading 6' and the talon deploying to 6'. Most run the talons as high up on the bracket as possible, and the transducer may be 2' below that.

So if you're pp held in 25 mph was it the same direction and same spot (cause the bottoms composition maters a lot). In my experience one talon 12' held my big bad glass walleye boat as well as 2 blades hold my 20' bass boat.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089