Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hearing Aids - Sticker shock

What would one expect to pay to get fitted for hearing aids in both ears. My 91 year old father was quoted 5 to 6 k for a pair. Is that really the going rate?
    Chris Curry
    Springfield Illinois
    Ranger Comanche Z521
    Mercury Verado Pro 250
    IN GOD WE TRUST

2. Member
    With hearing aids, you get what you pay for, though that sounds about 10-20% high. My hearing aids changed my life for the better.

3. Member
    Think I would shop around some. I bought a pair of Phonaks for a little less than 3k after insurance. Batteries guaranted for 8 years. Batteries are chargable. Set came with a charger.

4. Member
    I paid $5600 for the first pair I bought over 10 years ago and the ones I have now were over $9k.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    With hearing aids, you get what you pay for, though that sounds about 10-20% high. My hearing aids changed my life for the better.
    Agree on changing life for the better.

6. Goby King
    Sounds about like a middle of the road pair. Prices can range from a couple thousand to $10k+. Yes there is a big difference and you do get what you pay for. There are very few hardware providers, so they're basically the same across brands, but there is a difference in the software and who does the programming after delivery.

7. Member
    I paid 4500 a couple years ago! Check out hearing planet!

I'm on my 3rd pair.

1st pair $3300
    2nd pair $6600
    present pair --$1600.00. COSTCO ----- And these have been the best ones

And COSTCO's testing was more detailed then my audiologist

9. Banned
    Buy Siemens

WHAT? I never heard of that.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

By chance is your dad a Veteran? VA will issue hearing aids for free and they are NOT the cheap versions. Friend of mine recently received his and they were top of the line digital.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I'm on my 3rd pair.

1st pair $3300
    2nd pair $6600
    present pair --$1600.00. COSTCO ----- And these have been the best ones

And COSTCO's testing was more detailed then my audiologist
    I also bought a pair from Costco a year ago. Mine were also around $1600.00. This included the hearing test and setup and a 3 year warranty. They can be controlled from an app on my phone.

As as long as I maintain a Costco membership I can get them cleaned anytime I'm there and and hearing test and reprogramming are free. A pack of 48 batteries are also less than $9.00

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XS-Skeet View Post
    By chance is your dad a Veteran? VA will issue hearing aids for free and they are NOT the cheap versions. Friend of mine recently received his and they were top of the line digital.
    This.....my Dad was 92 when the VA paid $4000 for each of his.

Shop around. Dad was quoted that 4-6K range, ended up getting the same ones from somewhere else for about 2K. He found a private hearing practice guy instead of a national chain.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

15. Banned
    3600 for mine from my audiologist, Unitron Moxi behind the ear. Includes all testing, cleaning, and I haven't paid for a DOT Audiogram yet. Oh, and as long as I make monthly payments it's interest-free.

16. Member
    I need them,but would hear way too much if I did have them. Sooner or later I will give in. That's a bunch of cash.

17. Member
    My wife's were about $4K. While expensive, they were worth every penny so she can hear clearly once again.

18. Banned
    I have Siemans and am on my 4th set $$$$

My Mom got the top of the line, computer tuned, hearing aids about 10 years ago. They were $5K back then. They had a 90 day "if you're not happy return them for a full refund" policy. Since they didn't make her hear like she was 19 years old again, she took them back and got her money refunded.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Currydvm View Post
    What would one expect to pay to get fitted for hearing aids in both ears. My 91 year old father was quoted 5 to 6 k for a pair. Is that really the going rate?
    Had mine for six years, 6000.00 with blue tooth!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast