Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Echomap Plus installed....

Got the unit and transducers installed yesterday....all seems to work sitting on the trailer....just need to get on the water to give it some testing and calibrating....wont be until next weekend before i can get on the water....

A question, i have a Lowrance Point 1, can i use it for heading sensor? I'm using the unit internal antenna for GPS.... Would the heading sensor be the AHRS that is talked about for Panoptix calibration? If not i'm guessing this would be an add-on?

YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Looks nice. Might think about a barrel mount for your ps21.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    I've never used a Point 1 but I understand it operates through NMEA. So it should work with Garmin.

The AHRS calibration is internal to the Panoptix.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Looks nice. Might think about a barrel mount for your ps21.
    Why is that?

I've never used a Point 1 but I understand it operates through NMEA. So it should work with Garmin.

The AHRS calibration is internal to the Panoptix.
    Yes P1 is nmea....I do see it on the Garmin under the device list....just didn't know if the unit has a built in heading sensor or not. If it doesn't then I'll have to figure out how to set it to use the it from the P1.......thanks for the insight on the AHRS......

5. Banned
    You will have to choose in the menu which antenna you are going to use. It should be under Network.

Jeremy, The Point 1 worked with my 7610. The 7610 picked it up right away.

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

7. Member
    Looks good!!

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You will have to choose in the menu which antenna you are going to use. It should be under Network.
    Jeremy, The Point 1 worked with my 7610. The 7610 picked it up right away.
    I know it will pick it up, already saw it listed on the unit....i'm wondering about the heading sensor....

I dont think the unit has a built in sensor since you can purchase the Steadycast sensor, but if i have the Point 1 already can i tell the unit to use the heading sensor from it.....like with Lowrance you can use the units internal antenna while using the Point 1 heading sensor....

The Barrel mount eliminates the PS21 from bouncing a signal off of the trolling motor housing. This is my PS22 mounted on the barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 01-15-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I used the internal gps on the 7610 and Point 1 for heading

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The Barrel mount eliminates the PS21 from bouncing a signal off of the trolling motor housing. This is my PS22 mounted on the barrel.
    I have the 22 also so not sure if it makes a difference but I'm getting a new troller this week and when I swap things out I'll look at the barrel mount.....

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I have the 22 also so not sure if it makes a difference but I'm getting a new troller this week and when I swap things out I'll look at the barrel mount.....
    If you have the PS22 you have to Barrrel mount it. Your trolling motor will be in the road so to speak with the PS22 in the down setting.

13. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Point-1 is both, gps, and heading. Garmin has a 19x GPS puck which doesn't have a heading sensor in it. That's why Garmin also offers the steadycast heading sensor.

14. Member
    If you have the PS22 you have to Barrrel mount it. Your trolling motor will be in the road so to speak with the PS22 in the down setting.
    That's why I mounted mine under the torpedo. I just wasn't comfortable with the barrel mounting, particulary for the DownVu. I left about 2 inches of the fin and sawed the rest of it off. I can't tell that it mattered. Drilled two holes in the fin and to that mounted a custom cut length of HDPE. The HDPE serves as my mounting platform as switch around transducers. Actually I now have three different pieces of HDPE with holes drilled according to what I want to mount. Not for everybody as for most mounting a transducer is a long term situation. But for me it never is. It's subject to change on any given day.

The attached pics are not current but do serve to illustrate what I am talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-16-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonHaske View Post
    Point-1 is both, gps, and heading. Garmin has a 19x GPS puck which doesn't have a heading sensor in it. That's why Garmin also offers the steadycast heading sensor.
    Yes that is correct. The P1 is staying on my boat, just trying to figure out if I can use the heading sensor from it.....

16. Member
    My guess is that if you have an operating NMEA network on Lowrance, that all you need to do is to run one more drop to the Garmin. The idea of NMEA was that it would be brand independent. Be sure to let us know if it actually works that way.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-16-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Leonard, you are correct..If you have a NMEA circuit set up, just run a drop cable to the Garmin NMEA port.

18. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    It works...I have it for the lowrance units. Have the point one and mercury motor hooked up to it.....now it have not tried everything but it does see the Point 1....