Helix 7 DI on Bow

Is it necessary to have GPS? How often do you use it if you are not networked to console unit? I am thinking I may go with DI and Sonar only. I would be interested in hearing thoughts.

Thank you for your assistance
    Dave

Depends on how/where you fish.

Certainly don't need it at the bow when fishing the shoreline, BUT if you fish away from the shoreline and know where "stuff" is underwater, you would have a GPS waypoint for that stuff and can position your boat to fish that stuff.

Most of the time I don't share GPS data between the console and bow, at least 1/2 of my fishing trips are just using a bow unit with no units at the console, but I do use GPS/Mapping at the bow.

This lake has no map, so I made GPS tracks for a low water shoreline (green lines) using the Google Earth photo that in some places are 100 yards from the full lake shoreline. I have submerged roads, submerged humps and points, plus creek channels marked. I can go directly to them with no searching using sonar.

BTW, this lake is electric-only.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    i run 2 helix 7's at the bow - one sonar and one gps with lakemaster - i fish a lot of off shore
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Quote Originally Posted by dwiebenga View Post
    Is it necessary to have GPS? How often do you use it if you are not networked to console unit? I am thinking I may go with DI and Sonar only. I would be interested in hearing thoughts.

Thank you for your assistance
    Dave
    Exactly what I was thinking too. I never use GPS on the bow. I'm wanting a Solix at the console but just 2D,and DI at the bow. Trying to figure out which unit is the best value.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

If you want to know where you are on either a Lakemaster or Navionics map card, you need GPS. I personally use my maps at both the console and the bow. The only problem with the Helix models is they will not share maps on the ethernet...you have to have a card for each unit.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

6. Member
    I agree that it depends on your type of fishing, but even if you are beating the bank it still pays off to have a map to use as a reference to keep track of what type of bottom contours you are fishing- like creek channels swinging towards the shore in front of the boat and so on. If you are fishing any structure off the bank, it absolutely is beneficial to know where you are in relation to that structure. I couldn't imagine not having my Navionics maps next to my sonar screen on the bow or on the console. Im a big believer in spending the extra money off the bat instead of regretting it later and spending even more money.

7. Member
    I agree with what Captain Solo says, better to spend a little more now. Also will help if you ever decide to sell the unit if it has GPS.