Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

losing sleep over this!!!!

Got the "ok" to buy a brand new outboard, but can't decide between a 250xs or an SHO.

I know the SHO will need a sportmaster and solid mounts, but I'm ok with that.

I don't have great dealer support locally for either, but really like Wayne.

Boat is already rigged Yamaha, but I can change that easily.

Fishing is first and going fast second.

I'm thinking out loud here, feel free to throw in your 2 cents.

2. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    SHO
    You can't just say "SHO", you gotta give a reason.

4. Member
    SHO
    That is the way I am leaning though.

5. Member
    If fishing is the main goal, SHO all the way. Advantages for me are quiet, hole shot and mid range from hades, doesn’t seem to be affected by weight or heat. Gas mileage is really good.
    I opted for solid mounts, flash, and Wayne’s lower mods on a 200.
    Cons - 1.75 gears and thru hub exhaust really hurts prop options. Motor likes big barrel thru hubs. Even with raised limiter, 28 will be shortest pitch. Yamaha now stops at 27, so bravo or hydro are about it. The SM option adds too many $$$$ to get to out of the box 300xs numbers IMHO.
    I blew a 2011 SHO twice, but still hung a new one this fall. I fish 88-90 with two, butt seats up, and all our tourney gear.
    93-96 possible on max speed run. I’m leaving 5-7 mph on the table with sho lower imho.

6. Member
    Do you plan to change the oil in the sho yourself or have a dealer do it? With a lack of dealer support that’s something to consider.

7. Member
    That is another advantage. Routine maintenance is a walk in the park. Oil changes, filter changes, plugs, water pumps are very DIY friendly on the SHO. If diagnostics are needed, it becomes another story.

call Wayne, he has plenty of contacts and get you whatever you want and need. Go with the 200 sho and do the ecm upgrades

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickwicked Basser View Post
    Do you plan to change the oil in the sho yourself or have a dealer do it? With a lack of dealer support that’s something to consider.
    That's a good point. I haven't taken an outboard to a dealer in over 15 years, the reason I had to then was, because I didn't own the motor. I've always been an efi and carb type guy 225promax, 260, etc, stuff you can trouble shoot yourself with a manual. This new technology stuff kinda scares me.

10. Member
    Walnut shoe what made your engine blow twice

11. Member
    Broken crank initially. Out of warranty, but Yamaha replaced the crank anyway. Not sure on 2nd time. Chose to hang a new motor with Full warranty rather than replacing the powerhead. The early year models had some issues.

12. Member
    Hate it for you was just wanting to know thanks hope everything on your new gives you years of trouble free running

13. Member
    I believe that you could not go wrong with either one I don't think any outboard made today last as long as they should for what they cost but this is my opinion if you want to run all out with the Yamaha you will have to have the lower unit worked on or replaced with a sportmaster but every body has a different opinion on which one is better I would get the one that will do what you want it to and don't look back they all have problems sooner or later

14. Member
    SHO's were popular here in Georgia for a while, but seems like everyone who bought one had it blow up at least once, a lot of them blew up multiple times. You hardly see them any longer in this part of the country. Wayne is close, so you have the luxury of him changing out blown engines for you. He fixed my blown Yammy several times, super fast too. Hard to beat Wayne and those HT boys.
    Mr StrokerDee :thumb

15. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    The Sho is a monster......I have seen it on the dyno for hours at very high horsepower levels and at 7000 rpm for hours and hours....its a very tough motor....If you have a sportmaster already it would be a great choice and you can sell the sho lower....waynes mods to the factory sho lower are close to the performance of a sportmaster if the sho lower had 1.62 gear option I think the numbers would be really close.....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

16. Member
    On the gearing could you not just run a higher pitch prop

17. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdparrish View Post
    I would not want to run one to 7000 rpms but say 6400 you have to have a very big prop with 1.75 and all that horse power! Not sure how that lower unit would stand up to that kind of pressure.

18. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdparrish View Post
    efficiency goes way down when pitch increases.....its also difficult to find 34+ pitch props and 34 + props don't have any holeshot.....Sportmasters are not that great of a lower I have had broken gears broken cases broken fat shaft broken drive shafts bearing failures and seal leaks.....yamaha lowers don't have near the issues the sportmaster has but they are faster due to gears and that they can raise up to 4 inches above on a Stroker

19. Member
    Does Yamaha or any body else plan on making different gears for their lower units

20. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I would not want to run one to 7000 rpms but say 6400 you have to have a very big prop with 1.75 and all that horse power! Not sure how that lower unit would stand up to that kind of pressure.
    ....Yamahas have a good lower just no gear choices
    ...the SHO has been very impressive

this beats the 300xs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast