Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
  1. Member
    When you drive at stupid speeds in stupid crazy water conditions the only thing seatbelts in boats will save is time, time searching for the body. At those high speeds in those high winds i'm betting death rate doesn't go down and neck and other injuries go up.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I bought up the idea of having seat belts in bass boats back in the old days on the Bass Fishing Home Page. I brought up the topic here a couple years ago. Every time I have seen this topic discussed, 98% of the people are opposed to seat belts in bass boats. All of the arguments against seat belts in bass boats are the EXACT same arguments that were made many years ago when requiring seat belts in cars was proposed. The debate back then was as heated and divisive as political debates are today. Yet, we now know that seat belts save thousands of lives every year and we take them for granted. Yet, folks still think that those same arguments used against seat belts in cars are somehow valid when discussing having seat belts in bass boats.

Fire away, as I am certain that I will regret this post!
    The reason everyone opposes them is that getting thrown OUT of a boat is FAR more survivable than being strapped in and restrained as it runs through a wave, or under another boat's hull when he runs over you, etc. Not just a bad idea, an extremely bad idea...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    Mark my statement was correct. The pelvis aka hip bone is the proper lower body anchor for the lap belt.

This quote is from NHTSA.. The govt. agency that over sees seat belt safety.

“Properly worn” means with both straps snugly fitted to transfer the impact of the collision to the partsof your body that can take it - your hipbones and shoulder bones. With just the shoulder strap on, youcan still slide out from under it and be strangled, while the lap belt alone doesn't keep your face fromhitting the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post
    Mark my statement was correct. The pelvis aka hip bone is the proper lower body anchor for the lap belt.

This quote is from NHTSA.. The govt. agency that over sees seat belt safety.

“Properly worn” means with both straps snugly fitted to transfer the impact of the collision to the partsof your body that can take it - your hipbones and shoulder bones. With just the shoulder strap on, youcan still slide out from under it and be strangled, while the lap belt alone doesn't keep your face fromhitting the steering wheel.

Respectfully I will disagree. I am just sharing my own experience and knowledge so other folks in the field may have different takes on it. I am basing my comments on A&P. Its not something I Googled or looked up, its something I have been taught and have taught for many years. I don't consider myself an expert on it but I have a pretty solid working knowledge of it as I deal with it just about every shift I have worked for about 20 years now. A&P is pretty universal in regards to terminology. There are multiple parts of the pelvis and shoulder as it relates to skeletal makeup. I get what they are saying but its still broad generalizations in regards to anatomy.

http://www.differencebetween.com/dif...is-and-vs-hip/

5. Member
    Technically the hip is a better descriptor. I think for the layman, pelvis and hip are often used interchangeably.
    I think that's their point.. and mine.

6. Member
    Easy solution fellas. Drive slow and no worries. Lives are way more important that speed and fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post
    Technically the hip is a better descriptor. I think for the layman, pelvis and hip are often used interchangeably.
    I think that's their point.. and mine.

8. Member
    You are right Cass. Belted or not a slower speed would help in a lot of circumstances.

9. Member
    instead of seatbelts why not make dual consoles mandatory instead
    in this case the driver stayed in the boat
    the passenger would have some protection from spearing a wave or have something to grab instead of bouncing out
    you dont have to be going fast to spear a wave
    accidents happen
    sad for all involved

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    The reason everyone opposes them is that getting thrown OUT of a boat is FAR more survivable than being strapped in and restrained as it runs through a wave, or under another boat's hull when he runs over you, etc. Not just a bad idea, an extremely bad idea...
    No, just no....... ^^^
    Better check out boat accidents stats, i.e. the odds of surviving when thrown out of a boat verses staying in the boat. The VAST majority survive if they never get thrown clear the boat.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516