polishing sportmaster

Hey Guys. Remind me the best product and process to clean up my sportmaster lower unit.

Thanks
    Greg
    Podge

2. Member
    Best thing you can do is get it to Robbie & Brad over at Propeller Dynamics near Sanderson Marine!

3. Member
    Clean it up with a green 3M pad and some water.

Let me do every one of you a huge favor with respect to keeping the sporty looking clean. It’s not polished but very very clean. First time I saw it was when my mechanic dropped the lower to change the gears. He said “ watch this!!!”

Kind of of scared me. I was thinking ..... what is he gonna do??
    There is a chemical company in N. Georgia called AIM Chemicals Inc. He had a big drum of AIM wire and mag wheel Cleaner (IT HAS A BRIGHTNER IN IT)

He sprayed that on liberally....it started foaming for a minute or two. Sprayed with a hose. In 2 minutes that case looked NEW!!

I bought some and you can use it while the lower is mounted, just don’t let it get on paint or gel. Pretty easy to avoid that. Wash with hose....done.

Awesome stuff!!!

http://www.aimchemicalsinc.com/categ...heel-cleaners/
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    Let me do every one of you a huge favor with respect to keeping the sporty looking clean. It’s not polished but very very clean. First time I saw it was when my mechanic dropped the lower to change the gears. He said “ watch this!!!”

There is a chemical company in N. Georgia called AIM Chemicals Inc. He had a big drum of AIM wire and mag wheel Cleaner (IT HAS A BRIGHTNER IN IT)

He sprayed that on liberally....it started foaming for a minute or two. Sprayed with a hose. In 2 minutes that case looked NEW!!

I bought some and you can use it while the lower is mounted, just don’t let it get on paint or gel. Pretty easy to avoid that. Wash with hose....done.

Awesome stuff!!!

I’ll have to stick to my green pad and water. No acid for me.

6. Member
    I use a orbital sander with 120 grit once every year or so. Just don't get carried away as it does remove some material.

3M green pad, works great.
    ALLISON XB2003 - 225 PRO MAX

8. Member

Awesome stuff!!!

Who is your mechanic? Is his shop way off the road next to a log cabin? If so he showed me the exact same product and it scared me as well.
    BULLET 20XRD/Mercury 300 XS

Quote Originally Posted by SLICK20XRD View Post
    Who is your mechanic? Is his shop way off the road next to a log cabin? If so he showed me the exact same product and it scared me as well.
    That’s hilarious!!! Yep, he is north of lake Lanier in Dawsonville. His name is Kelly Patrick. He knows a Mercury inside and out.

He wouldn’t suggest anything that would hurt anything but still peaked my curiousity a bit.
    Kelly is awesome and a Merc wizard!
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

10. Member
    That’s hilarious!!! Yep, he is north of lake Lanier in Dawsonville. His name is Kelly Patrick. He knows a Mercury inside and out. I’m sure this isn’t exactly right but close. He builds the outboards for Mercury Sprint boats. Those monsters that go from 0-200 in 800 ft in 3-4 seconds. Then they pull them apart and rebuild!
    He wouldn’t suggest anything that would hurt anything but still peaked my curiousity a bit.
    Kelly is awesome and a Merc wizard!
    i knew it had to be him once I read this. Yeah he knows his stuff for sure. I have went out with him when he is testing those boats and they are absolutely a blast to watch. They sound mean as well.

Not to steer away away from the OP post definitely give this Link MET posted a try. It works like magic.
    BULLET 20XRD/Mercury 300 XS

Easiest thing that last the longest is a green scotchbrite pad and WD40. It’ll turn black while your rubbing, just wipe the black off and you’ll be good. You can do a progression of sanding up to 3000 grit then buff with a wool pad and 3000 grit compound then polish with an aluminum polish and you’ll have a mirror finish.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com