Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Crankcase stuffing the easy way

New Crankcase Stuffer Plates from Chris Carson's Marine Service

An Easy and Fast Modification For Mercury Engines

Chris Carson’s Marine is adding several new products to compliment our reed valves and spacer kits, focusing on the small block V6 Mercury engines.

This is an inexpensive modification that can easily be performed while changing the reeds, with no added strain on the engine and no penalty to long-term reliability.

Now available are new intake stuffers that mount between the reed blocks and intake manifold, reducing the crankcase volume by moving the reeds into the crankcase .065-inch. This modification results in the exact same gain as with the common practice of milling the front half of the crankcase, but without the need to tear down the engine or any machine work.

The five and seven-petal versions are available now and ready to ship, with an even more effective version for the four-petal engines becoming available within a few days.

Chris Carson's Marine Service will be offering other valuable engine crankcase stuffer products for other engines very soon.

2. Member
    Whats the performance gain using these on a stock engine along with your reeds?
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

3. Member
    congratulations chris on another great product. I know it's probably been a year in the making since we talked about this. david

4. BBC SPONSOR
    David, thanks for your encouragement. We are so busy that it seems to take a couple of years to get an idea from the desk to the machine room. I’m happy to finally get them done, the 3 L stuffers
    should be available soon, As well as a couple of other parts for 2.4’s and 2.5’s that I think the rebuilders will like.
    Bruce, going from steel to composite reeds usually results in a better idol and better mid range pull sometimes a little better top end. In the case of mercury steel reeds it’s a good idea to replace them with composite just for safety sake,as the steel ones are known to chip and break often.As to the gains expected from the stuffers, I don’t have any real research to call on. At this point,I can only go by the fact that all the high performers engine builders I know include crankcase milling in their builds...I’m confident it helps,and using the stuffers results in actually more cc’s removed than the milling procedure.
    Logic would have it that there should be a gain, right now I just don’t have a way to measure it.I have everything in boxes to fully computerize my Stuska Powerhead dyno,hopefully I’ll have time to set it up soon so I can see some more reliable results in testing,Thanks for your interest,Chris

5. Member
    Good Idea

6. Member
    It reduces crankcase volume, which increases crankcase pressure in 2 ways. The reduced volume with the same swept volume increases the velocity of incoming air, and once the reeds are closed, the piston comes down and due to lower CC volume,, crankcase pressure is higher. So when the port opens, more and higher pressure fuel/air go into the cylinder.

7. Banned
    Good idea Chris! Be happy to have them in our inventory along with current selection of your reeds.

8. Member
    How would these work along with the 1 inch intake spacer on a mostly stock 200hp Xri (CCMS reeds already installed)?

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Good idea Chris! Be happy to have them in our inventory along with current selection of your reeds.
    You will have them in stock in a few days,chris

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by caddelma View Post
    How would these work along with the 1 inch intake spacer on a mostly stock 200hp Xri (CCMS reeds already installed)?
    The spacer plate improves the flow of the intake tract,helping acceleration,and the stuffers raise the crankcase compression...the results should be noticable,Chris

11. Member
    Still able to run 87 octane I assume versus having the heads cut?

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by caddelma View Post
    Still able to run 87 octane I assume versus having the heads cut?
    +No need for higher octane fuel,Chris

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nice, Chris. Especially cool that it's not a "one-way street" like cutting cases.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Thanks Don,enjoyed our talk,And your insights,Chris

15. Member
    Would adding this to a block that the front has been cut help the performance of the engine ?

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by nitromorris View Post
    Would adding this to a block that the front has been cut help the performance of the engine ?
    There Mary or may not be room to add the stuffers is the crackers as already been cut. 705 Pearl
    There may or may not be room to add the stuffers if the crankcase has already been cut. There probably won’t be room with 7 or 5 petal cages,but if you have the rubber coated 4 petals I think they will fit,Chris

17. Member
    Would like to see the pics ( crank stuffers ) , for the 4 petals rubber coated cages ...... are ready available ?

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Go over to Screamandfly and go to articles.They were introduced there and pics and descriptions are there,we also have the 3.0 Merc stuffers available now,Chris

19. Member
    10-4

20. Member
    Would like to see in youtube , how to install a set of stuffers on the 4 petals cages ..... Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast