Banned

24 volt charging

I'm in the midst of installing my first ever trolling motor and need your expert feedback on chargers. Never have charged any batteries in series before. What is the best method to charge with? Do you recommend charging BOTH batteries with ONE 24 volt charger or charge ONE battery with ONE 12 Volt charger for each batteries.

Also what charger do you recommend. I would like to stay in the $100.00 range for the charger.

The trolling motor is a Minn Kota 80 lb 24 v Fortrex.

Thanks for your help!

One battery individually at 12 v multiplying the amount of battery's because when it's done it can start cleaning the plates vs over charging the first one because the second ones still taking a load.

100$ chargers I have no clue sorry. I have used minn Kota onboards and a noco bother are fine all day
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Get a multi bank charger with a 12 volt bank per physical battery you have. Modern chargers run a programmed smart charging profile to test the battery, and charge it in separate phases to best optimize the battery. The charger cannot do this if charging multiple batteries per bank and it cannot alert you when a specific battery has a fault. So if you have two trolling and one cranking 12 volt batteries, buy a 3 bank 12 volt charger. Wire a single bank per battery. You do not have to disconnect the batteries from the series wiring in the boat to charge them. There are several good brands out there. I use a 3 bank Pro Charging Systems Dual Pro Professional Series. It costs way more than $100 but it is plug and go. For $100 your going have to charge one battery at a time and move leads. It will take you multiple days every trip to get your batteries recharged.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Get a multi bank charger with a 12 volt bank per physical battery you have. Modern chargers run a programmed smart charging profile to test the battery, and charge it in separate phases to best optimize the battery. The charger cannot do this if charging multiple batteries per bank and it cannot alert you when a specific battery has a fault. So if you have two trolling and one cranking 12 volt batteries, buy a 3 bank 12 volt charger. Wire a single bank per battery. You do not have to disconnect the batteries from the series wiring in the boat to charge them. There are several good brands out there. I use a 3 bank Pro Charging Systems Dual Pro Professional Series.
    This

5. Member
    The two batteries can be charged in series with a 24 volt charger but practical experience has shown it's better to have a charger that charges them individually. It's best to have two batteries that are the same type, size and time (within reason) of manufacture. If something bad happens to one of them it's easier to detect and monitor if they have their own charging circuits.
    If I were poorer than I am now, and only had a 24 volt charger, I'd use it. You could buy a charger for less than $100, but if you do get one capable of supplying 10 or more AMPS to each battery, frequently a charger is rated at TOTAL amps. For instance, one capable of delivering 6 amp per bank (battery) would say 12 volt 12 amp.
    From what I understand, if you ever use AGM technology batteries you'll need a 10 amp per bank minimum.

Two 12 V batteries are hooked in series to get 24 V. That is called a series connection. That connection has nothing to do with charging. A series connection is how you get 24 V out of two 12 V batteries. You are charging the two 12 V batteries individually so your're charging in parallel. The battery charger must be hooked in parallel to charge the individual batteries...From your battery charger to the battery + on the battery charger to + the battery. - on the battery charger to - on the battery.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Two 12 V batteries are hooked in series to get 24 V. That is called a series connection. That connection has nothing to do with charging. A series connection is how you get 24 V out of two 12 V batteries. You are charging the two 12 V batteries individually so your're charging in parallel. The battery charger must be hooked in parallel to charge the individual batteries...From your battery charger to the battery + on the battery charger to + the battery. - on the battery charger to - on the battery.
    Sorry Charlie. If the batteries are connected in series a 24 volt charger will charge them just fine.

8. Member
    Don’t skimp on your charger. A proper charger will allow you to just plug it in and forget it. They charge with specific voltages to max out the charge before floating the charge. A good charger will pay for itself over the years by extending the lives of your batteries. I have a minn Kota 3x10 amp. Costs about $300, but batteries are $110 for TM and $400 for cranking a pop. So I want my batteries to last as long as possible. Extra investment up front, but you won’t regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Sorry Charlie. If the batteries are connected in series a 24 volt charger will charge them just fine.
    Mid there hooked up in parallel a single 12v charger will work also. But as I said not as well as a charger with a bank to each individual battery

10. Banned
    Thanks for the replies! You guys cleared up my questions.

Would this be suitable for my needs? The Minn Kota 210D
    https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Boar...ustomerReviews

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Yes you are correct. I went back and read the OP's post again. I overlooked he had one 24 V charger. What I posted applies to someone who use a two bank 12 V charger.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Yes you are correct. I went back and read the OP's post again. I overlooked he had one 24 V charger. What I posted applies to someone who use a two bank 12 V charger.
    No big deal, I just love being a smart ass if I'm right. Runs in the family. Feels like a sharp stick in the eye when I'm wrong. And when I am wrong, it isn't the first time so you're not gettin' a cherry LOL.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    No problem calling me out. I like it when people have no problem calling someone out but what makes it even better is when they don't get their panties in a wad if someone does it in return to them.

The 210d will be fine, unless you kill the batteries and only charge for 7 hours before going again, you may be a little short on the charge but if the wind lays down or your older you probably don't go sun up to sundown day after day you'll be fine