3L Powerhead Base Gasket Question

Swapping the clamp assembly on my 99 Promax 300, and just got done pulling the powerhead. The existing gaskets are the newer style, more expensive base gaskets and I have a set of the older style stock 300 base gaskets from Pro Marine that I'd like to use. Question is, will that be a mistake and do I really need to spend another $100+ for the newer style? It's a bone stock 300PM 0G857239

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    They look like two difference gaskest's , the holes doesn't line up .
    If they looked the same and the dealer said they where new old stock (Mercury ) gasket, i would use it .

3. Member
    Thanks. It does look at way, but the funny thing is that it fits just as well onto the mid. I guess at some point Mercury decided to leave more gasket material in the hollow areas. Maybe to make the gasket more stable?

4. Member
    Thanks. It does look that way, but the funny thing is that it fits just as well onto the mid. I guess at some point Mercury decided to leave more gasket material in the hollow areas. Maybe to make the gasket more stable?

5. Member
    Yep then it will work . Some one has pull the power head and has install a newer style gasket . I heard the newer ones is easlier to clean off also . And a better gasket. It should work . Looks to be new old stock ?

6. Member
    Make sure the surface is level .....check with a straight edge .....thinking its like 000.5 .....hard to find a power head leak .

7. Member
    I like to use the Expensive Mercury Marine thick wax coated gaskets because.......

If you have to take it back apart the gaskets remove easy.
    They are thick and can make up for some imperfections.
    You don't want to have to take it all back apart for a "thin" gasket failure.
    You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I like to use the Expensive Mercury Marine thick wax coated gaskets because.......

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post

^^^^^ This.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tripower View Post
    Swapping the clamp assembly on my 99 Promax 300, and just got done pulling the powerhead. The existing gaskets are the newer style, more expensive base gaskets and I have a set of the older style stock 300 base gaskets from Pro Marine that I'd like to use. Question is, will that be a mistake and do I really need to spend another $100+ for the newer style? It's a bone stock 300PM 0G857239

You do know you need 2 base gaskets, with the Alien pan,right ?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    You do know you need 2 base gaskets, with the Alien pan,right ?
    Yes, I have a set (2). And they are the same thickness as the newer style gaskets I removed (0.75 Victor Reinz material for both). No idea if the ones I removed are OEM or aftermarket, though.

But given all the advice above, I'm thinking I should order a set of the newer style OEM. Thanks all.