Lithium batteries and conventional combined

All, Can a person run a 24v lithium and a regular 12 volt lead acid battery to get 36v? Are there any dangers or watch outs? Looking at a boat with the 24 but want to run a full 36 instead.

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    There's this kid in Florida, 20 years old, that just won $450 million in the Lottery. Gosh, if I was him, or his best friend, I wouldn't have to ask that kind of question, I'd just buy the darn things and if it didn't work, I'd buy something different.
    I think it does work. I'd suppose the Lithium battery would have built-in protection against reverse current if it ran down too far.

3. Member
    Could you? yes, maybe, possibly
    Should you? no

With lead acid it is recommended when batteries are in series. That they all be of the same type and capacity. It is also recommended that when one needs replaced, they all be replaced. (36 or 24volt)

There is a reason for this.

Know we are talking about mixing different battery technologies in series, I would say no!

My suggestion would be to sell the 24 Li-Ion and go all lead acid, or up grade to 36 Li-ion.
    But I would probably do neither, and use the existing 24volt trolling motor and Li-Ion battery/s,
    additionally your already a little lighter anyway with Li-Ion, possibly not requiring the 36volt anyway.

4. Member
    Yes you can. The motor doesn't know where the electrons are coming from. Although most won't recommend it, it will work fine. But you shouldn't try to use a 36V charger. Charge each battery separate.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Would hooking up a 24v lithium in series with a 12v lead acid give you 36 volts? Yes

Would it run your 36 volt trolling motor? Yes

Would I recomend doing this for a long period of time? NO..