Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterfowlmagnet View Post
    I've haven't ran into many that didn't work right out of the box, easy enough to adjust if they didn't.
    Drop three on them into a sink of cold water.

2. Member
    I’ve got a magnum, tried the shiner and have a few trick Darters but most of my jerkbaits are the original Ito vision 110 models. The FX are nice but the regular ones are what I’ve used for years. Try getting a hold of just a regular 110 and start from there. I realize there are quite a few options within them but the regular version works best for me.

I’ve also got a square bill one that works pretty good for what it is designed for.’
    Last edited by Lape0019; 01-17-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Ask Danny Waldo ( SkeeterDD22) if they work!

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Ask Danny Waldo ( SkeeterDD22) if they work!
    I use pointer 100,s and Vision 110's. (and that's about it).
    Out of the box, a pointer will sink if you got the time.
    A Vision will come up about the same speed as a pointer will sink.
    Patience guys.......Patience.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    My understanding of the MEGABASS VISIONS....they are supposed to be AWESOME out of the box. so...at $25 a bait and they are NOT awesome out the box...buy some LC 100 flash pointers and call it a day. BUT....I am about to buy a megabass jerkbait...but not a vision. fingers crossed.

Wow, some of the comments on this board are just crazy.

There are a lot of things that make the MB V110 a great bait. Suspending is ONE of the elements that make a jerkbait work. However, ALL jerkbaits have to be tuned if you want them to suspend perfectly. I don't fish in a bath tub, maybe you do? In my home lake there is a 2-5 degree water temp difference at any time across different areas in the lake. So out of the package, a jerkbait might suspend perfectly in one cove and not the next because of temperature differences. A little lead tape usually takes care of it and can be adjusted on the fly.

I have many different brands of jerkbaits and none of them suspend perfectly in every water temperature every time. All of them take some tuning to get them to perfectly suspend. Out of the package $1 or $25, they all require adjustments to stay neutrally buoyant because lake conditions change and what sinks and what floats changes with those conditions.

I have very clear water where I fish and I fish jerkbaits frequently. Many of them work but none of them work straight out of the box for every condition.

The Lucky Craft Pointer is my 2nd favorite but nothing catches them like a Vision 110.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    This may not apply to the op but when throwing suspending baits remember the colder the water the more dense it is and the warmer the water the less dense it is. So with that being said your jerk bait that suspends at 55 degrees will slow sink at 50 and lower and slowly rise at 60 and higher as a general rule of thumb. To counter act this you switch between mono and floro to help keep your baits suspended when you want them too. But on other days those slow sinks or rises are key to getting strikes!
    I think you got that backward. If it suspends at 55 and the water is more dense at 50 then the lure would be more buoyant in the denser water and tend to float and vice-versa in lower density 60 degree water.

In general, has anyone found a lure that suspends perfectly at 55 then actually changed the water temp to 60 and see if it starts sinking? I looked up some data and I don't see much change in water density with temperature (see table). Interestingly, water reaches a maximum density at around 40 degrees then starts becoming less dense. It makes sense because water expands when it freezes. According to the data the density of water only decreases 0.07% from 50 to 60 degrees. It only decreases 0.59% from 40 to 95 degrees! It seems to me that the suspending properties of a bait would be much more dependent on factors such as line type/diameter than water temp. If anyone has actually done experiments please share. I suspect this is more science based myth than actual real world effect. Of course, it could also depend on what your definition of suspending is, 30 seconds is much different than 30 minutes.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
    I think you got that backward. If it suspends at 55 and the water is more dense at 50 then the lure would be more buoyant in the denser water and tend to float and vice-versa in lower density 60 degree water.

In general, has anyone found a lure that suspends perfectly at 55 then actually changed the water temp to 60 and see if it starts sinking? I looked up some data and I don't see much change in water density with temperature (see table). Interestingly, water reaches a maximum density at around 40 degrees then starts becoming less dense. It makes sense because water expands when it freezes. According to the data the density of water only decreases 0.07% from 50 to 60 degrees. It only decreases 0.59% from 40 to 95 degrees! It seems to me that the suspending properties of a bait would be much more dependent on factors such as line type/diameter than water temp. If anyone has actually done experiments please share. I suspect this is more science based myth than actual real world effect. Of course, it could also depend on what your definition of suspending is, 30 seconds is much different than 30 minutes.

Pointers seem to sink faster in colder water. I want them to sink, but, not noticeably fast. Water was 37 the other day and I could drop one off the side of the boat in it'd be 2ft down in 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDD22 View Post
    Pointers seem to sink faster in colder water. I want them to sink, but, not noticeably fast. Water was 37 the other day and I could drop one off the side of the boat in it'd be 2ft down in 10 seconds.
    This is pretty much what I was talking about regarding myth versus reality. At 37 degrees the water will be more dense than at 50 degrees (0.99996 vs 0.99965) so a bait that falls at, for example, 1 foot per minute in 50 degree water will fall slower in the colder denser water. It cannot fall faster in denser water unless something changed on the lure or line.

Water density affecting the fall/rise rate of a lure is scientifically valid. However, I think the differences are so small we convince ourselves there is an significant effect when there really isn't enough of one to make difference.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
    This is pretty much what I was talking about regarding myth versus reality. At 37 degrees the water will be more dense than at 50 degrees (0.99996 vs 0.99965) so a bait that falls at, for example, 1 foot per minute in 50 degree water will fall slower in the colder denser water. It cannot fall faster in denser water unless something changed on the lure or line.

Water density affecting the fall/rise rate of a lure is scientifically valid. However, I think the differences are so small we convince ourselves there is an significant effect when there really isn't enough of one to make difference.
    Correct!

10. Banned
    One could easily determine fall rate base on water temp with a fish tank and aquarium heater.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    One could easily determine fall rate base on water temp with a fish tank and aquarium heater.
    I don't have a fish tank or I would do it. Would love if somebody did this and posted the results.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    UNLESS, my nephew was correct, or even partially correct. He seems to think depth has much to do with it as temperature. OR, pressure has as much to do with it as density.
    And while lure makers often tell you their lure suspends at a certain temperature. That may be a certain temp, AT the lures normal diving depth.
    And, they say nothing about what line. And we all know some lines sink and some lines float.
    Maybe ones line choice has more to do with it...in different conditions...... than we think?

Over thinking it? Yes and No. Yes, most of the time. No, when your suspending lure sinks as fast as a Rapala Countdown.

I just chunk 'em where bass live and get bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    So that was you at the BPS aquarium?

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDD22 View Post
    So that was you at the BPS aquarium?
    I ain't proud.....lol

I ain't proud.....lol

I had never thrown one until last year...bought a few 110's...started catching fish on them pretty quick. Kind of an addicting bite!

18. Member
    Line has a lot to do with it. Throwing a 110+1 on Lanier 2 weeks ago. Bait was slow floating in surface water of 54 degrees. It I let it sit 10-20 seconds between jerks it would float and become visible on a short cast around docks. On a long cast I had to dig for a loop in the line and got a tangle, etc. after 2-3 mins I went to reel in and the bait was super deep. As I reeled in I hit the bottom even, because the 12 lb invizex was on the bottom and pulling the bait down.

Line size, line sink rate (mono to flouro, etc) length of pause all effect the baits ability to suspend.

Mark has it right though, throw them where fish live and you should catch some good ones!
    Lanierspotman
    2023 Skeeter 21ZXR 2023 250 SHO
    Lake Lanier, GA

19. Banned
    Sounds like you have to tweak them out of the box to fish them....hmmmmm

20. Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast