Question Striker "User Data Sharing" info?

Can anyone tell me more about the data that is shared via the "User Data Sharing" cable? From what I've found so far ( https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch...5I3hDoL4fhXFd9 ) it appears to be NMEA 0183 data, but is the cable Serial RS232 or RS485? What sentences are sent from the Striker? Is any sonar data sent? I'd really like to interface this with other NMEA 0183 data and need more information in order to do so.

Thanks!

2. Member
    I can't tell you all that much. The User Data Sharing cable is used when the wires in the power cluster are not long enough to reach when hooking two units together to share waypoints. The protocol is proprietary; Garmin High Speed protocol. I've never seen published the internal technical details about how it operates. With two wires it has to be some type of serial communications. From the power cluster you just connect brown to blue and blue to brown and it's limited to connecting two units-no more. Sonar, maps, etc are NOT shared over it.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Yes, Garmin tends to be rather tight-lipped about their technology, but I dug a bit deeper and found a list of NMEA sentences that the EchoMap Chirp series sends / receives. According to that information, the EchoMap can receive depth sentences ( DPT, DBT ) and in the Striker documentation it says that it can share data with the EchoMap Chirp series. So my question is now, can the Garmin Striker send those depth sentences? I'm guessing they do because why else would a Striker (which only has sonar and no GPS or charting capabilities) have the data sharing wires?

4. Member
    Garmin makes a difference when describing units communications capabilities. Garmin High Speed Protocol, NMEA 0183. and NMEA2000 are all spoken of differently. I've seen where some users speculated that the GHSP was 0183 but I doubt it is an exact match. It really doesn't matter what you call it if it works by connecting the blue-brown and brown-blue wires. The original Striker, original echomap and echomap CHIRP all have those brown-blue wires in the wiring harness. The echomap CHIRP units do send and receive NMEA but they have a NMEA port. I don't think they send or receive the same sentences over GHSP. If they did I think they would make a point of advertising it. That is not something to hide. Pretty sure you're not going to get depth sentences over GHSP. If you find out otherwise please post it. There are people interested. The Striker does have a GPS and the GPS data is part of the waypoing sharing over GHSP.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    From what I've been able to find, Garmin is using some "standard" NMEA 0183 sentences and also some "proprietary" sentences that are similar to NMEA 0183. Since I'm writing my own application to read the data I should be able to work with either.

I guess the question I should be asking is this, "is there a Garmin unit that uses the "Garmin CV20-TM (4-pin)" transducer and also either sends the data out the serial / NMEA / sharing cable or can save it to an SD card?"

6. Member
    You may already know this but since you are writing your own application you might want to look some on GPSBabel.

https://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-dev...mt_garmin.html

7. Member
    I forgot about GPSBabel, thanks. I also found this in one of the user manuals for the EchoMap series. I'm hoping the Striker (or Striker Plus) transmits SDDPT sentences like the EchoMap.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dabigkahuna; 01-14-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: update

8. Member
    Sorry to bring this back up. I am planning to run a Striker 7sv on my console and a Striker Plus 4cv on the bow for now until I can afford a larger unit. Can anyone tell me what data can be shared between those units with the cable? I am wanting to be able to use sidescan from my console while idling around and save waypoints that I can then go back over with my trolling motor and see those waypoints from the bow unit that just uses down imaging.

Quote Originally Posted by 83Sterling View Post
    Sorry to bring this back up. I am planning to run a Striker 7sv on my console and a Striker Plus 4cv on the bow for now until I can afford a larger unit. Can anyone tell me what data can be shared between those units with the cable? I am wanting to be able to use sidescan from my console while idling around and save waypoints that I can then go back over with my trolling motor and see those waypoints from the bow unit that just uses down imaging.
    Yes, you can share waypoints by using High Speed Protocol (connecting blue to brown, brown to blue).
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Yes, you can share waypoints by using High Speed Protocol (connecting blue to brown, brown to blue).
    Thank you!