Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best ammo for S&W M&P AR15

Just looking for good range ammo. I just need decent ammo to practice with. Should I buy .223 for this or 5.56?
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

2. Member
    American eagle 223 or 5.56 is about all I shoot. $6.99 for 20 and lots of sales on it usually. They do sale bulk packs as well.

3. Member
    Good info. Thanks

4. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    I have a S&W MP-15, mine prefers .223 ammo over the 5.56 to get better groups. I try to buy in bulk when I find it on sale because it takes 1 1/2 boxes to load a clip.

5. Member
    Just depends on if your chamber is actually 'rated' for 5.56. Some .223 chambers are not. That's not saying you can't run 5.56 in it, just that by default, 5.56 has much greater internal pressures. Running .223 pressures can run 45,000PSI whereas 5.56 can run well over 63,000PSI. Although the pressure 'seen' in the chamber may actually be less with a 5.56 due to the barrel (tightness and length), as well as chamber manufacturing tolerances. There's also a difference in velocity from one to another. Basically, the 2.23 standard has stayed the same since I believe was back in the early 60's, where 5.56 has been constantly updated due to it's military reliance. (They don't shoot .223 in theirs.)

All that aside, you can likely shoot 5.56 in pretty much any 'black gun', just that the extended pressures of the 5.56 may end up with primers popping out. Not that they WILL, just that they CAN. And if they do, they'll end up down in the trigger group and you'll have to field strip it.

Hold on, checking my favorites list for an article..........
    Here it is. Here's a great one back from 2012 that describes the differences. Puts some of the myth to rest for sure.
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Funny story....
    Long time bud of mine (since high school in fact) bought a cheap AR a couple years ago. He doesn't know the difference between a piston gun, and a gas impingement. All he knew/knows is that he went in the store and told them he wanted a AR. So we were talking, and I asked him if it was a M16, or M4 style, and if it was a 5.56 or a straight up .223?

His reply; "It's a AR".

Again I asked, and told him there was a difference between a AR that was only .223 or one that was built to both .223 and 5.56 tolerances.

Again his reply; "It's a AR".

I honestly doubt if he's ever shot it.

BTW, I much MUCH prefer a piston gun to gas impingement. Runs SOOOOOOO much cleaner, and even COOLER! I've seen tests for instance on the Ruger SR 556, which is a really nice piston gun btw, (even if I didn't own one) and it actually runs cooler chamber temps AFTER 90 rounds than before it started the first round. Another nice one is the Sig (of course). Although, you can get two of the AR 556 units with money left over for scopes or red dots for what a single SR runs.

Last edited by DixieChicken; 01-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I use American Eagle 5.56 55gr in my M&P 15. It loves it better than .223

7. Member
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it. First I will buy some of each and see what it likes and then buy in bulk

I always look at the local gun stores, they usually have some ammo on sale that brings folks into the store. A store locally had IWI .223 for 6 bucks a box of 20, it really shoots well too. They also had a huge sale on some Norma .223 that shoots really well through my gun, again 6 bucks a box.

See ya

PMC bronze .223 runs pretty good in mine for general target/plinking use. I've shot a few other brands and have never encountered any issues. Everything feeds like it should.

10. Member
    It's my understanding that if your barrel is marked "5.56" you can shoot either 5.56 or .223. If the barrel is marked ".223"....stick to that.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw174 View Post
    It's my understanding that if your barrel is marked "5.56" you can shoot either 5.56 or .223. If the barrel is marked ".223"....stick to that.
    Yup... which is what I was referring to above.

The Lucky Gunner article though was a good one for sure. I've had guys tell me 'way back when' that if you tried to run 5.56 in a .223 barrel that you were taking your life into your hands. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/
    That's not true. Yes the pressures are different *in the bullet itself* but overall there can be less pressure in the barrel than a .223, go figure.
    Those higher pressures though can end up with more velocity down range, and higher impact on target with the 5.56. Especially as a lot of our rigs like to run heavier 62 grain rounds.
    One thing about the 5.56 chamber (that often helps them feed more different rounds better) is the feed ramp. Of course any gun out there is only as good as the shop that built it, so that's a huge grain (say salt lick) of salt.

Sadly I don't shoot as much as I should. Guns in every room, but I'd rather spend the money on fishin' than bullets these days. Only so many $$$ to go around!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

KVD Edition Hydrowave

12. Member
    Dixiechicken and others, from what I've read, with the 1x9 barrel, the 55 grain bullets are the best. Also, yes, with this AR I can run either 5.56 or 223 but my question that is with the increased pressures of the 5.56 would that cause any premature wear on the barrel?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    Dixiechicken and others, from what I've read, with the 1x9 barrel, the 55 grain bullets are the best. Also, yes, with this AR I can run either 5.56 or 223 but my question that is with the increased pressures of the 5.56 would that cause any premature wear on the barrel?
    As long as it's tested, and approved for 5.56 I'd not give it any thought.

On the 1:9 barrel, that's actually better for a heavier bullet. Running a 1:8 or 1:9 you can shoot a wide range of bullets, more so with the faster twist. Having a fast twist, can actually OVER stabilize a light 55 grain bullet.

Once you get to a 1:9 you start to get into heavy bullet control. This is where the 55's are starting to perform worse and the heavier ones better. It's not uncommon to run up to 70 grain in a 1:9.

Moving to the 1:8 it's a fairly fast twist barrel, and can easily stabilize a bullet up to 80 grains. I'd run heavy before light in a 1:8.

55 gr and below, you can run up to 1:10~1:12 which is a much slower twist.

You have to remember, when the AR came out in the 60's guys were running carbines with 1:14 twist to really reach out there.

The military today actually has an even faster 1:7 twist to really wind those puppies up! They run 70~77 grain at pretty much any barrel length and any velocity. That and the 1:7 can run a 90 GRAIN out there and get the job done.

You also have to take into account the velocity, as in feet per second. The faster it comes out the barrel, the faster the barrel twists, the more stable the round.

So when you think about it, THAT is where running the 5.56 comes into play over the .223. Higher pressures *should* result in higher terminal velocity, which should result in a more accurate hit on target down range. Of course chamber, bullet fit to the chamber, brass vs steel, primer, loading etc, and of course projectile weight all come into play at that point.

Now for just plinking off a few hundred rounds at your local indoor range, at what... MAYBE 30 yards.... then sure... grab the 4 moa red dot and a case of .223 and go have some fun. But if I were looking at some serious shooting, punching paper at 100, 200, 400 yards..... I'd put some heavy rounds in her and let the girl run.

BTW..... I use a Aimpoint PRO 2 MOA red dot and it's served me well.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

KVD Edition Hydrowave

14. Member
    Seriously good info. Thanks for the lesson.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    Seriously good info. Thanks for the lesson.
    You're very welcome.

Oddly enough, I learned most of it after I bought my first AR. ��

Never too old to learn.

NOW IF I COULD ONLY LEARN TO FISH!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

KVD Edition Hydrowave

Assuming your barrel is a 1:9 twist(I think it is) 55gr should give you the tightest groups out of it
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

17. Member
    Phillip I disagree. I'd say 62gr will run better, and what I'd use for the best accuracy. Heavier bullets are more accurate in general. That said, the 55gr and 62gr are the most used in a 1:9 for sure. However I wouldn't rule out buying a box of each, even going up to 69gr if not at least one box in the 70's.

Although.... as I was saying earlier, there are other factors that come into play. But a heavier projectile is more stable in flight without a doubt.

Of course at this point we're talking about what (with good glass).... getting 1"~1½" groups at 100~150 yards vs ¾" groups.

That's basically getting sub MOA vs MOA at 100~150 yards. That and you need to get familiar with your glass (scope). As I also said earlier, I shoot mine with a 2 MOA red dot (not a magnified scope), and Troy Industries iron sights and it works for me. I've thought of getting into plinking paper at 200, 300, 500 yards but don't have the space, and just don't have the time OR MONEY to go out and buy a quality scope to play with just for plinking.

Only way the OP will know is pick up a few boxes of each. I'd get 55gr and 62gr in brass and steel from different manufacturers at the very least, and even some NATO 69gr perhaps. The go set it up on a bench, put some paper at 100, 150, and 200 yards and make a day of it. But yeah... there may not be any noticeable difference between green box Remington 55gr and Wolf 55gr, and/or 62gr for any practical distances. (Although, science tells us that 62gr will be more accurate all things being equal.)

Fishing is more fun for me these days, and all I have to hit is the lake. That's a can't miss situation.
    Last edited by DixieChicken; 01-19-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: fixed first paragraph
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

KVD Edition Hydrowave

18. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    After reading this post, I'm alot more educated that I was 5 min ago on this stuff. Great info y'all.

19. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Clips

Magazines

Just for you Newbys!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    With my guns (that I have since sold), grab the boxes of 20 Federal, AE, etc at wally world, Dicks, Academy etc where you can geta box fairly inexpensively and shoots some groups and see what you get with different gain bullets etc and see what works best in your gun.

If you can grab a 1K for 330 or less than its buyable!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast