Mercury 250XS air compressor rebuild kit

I have a Mercury 250XS, serial #OT818648. Is there an air compressor rebuild kit available for this motor? I am considering doing it as ordinary maintenance at some point, if it is available.

After Savage's "no" reply" I would like to know if anyone has done this themselves with necessary gaskets and other required parts? Seems that a little preventive maintenance beats a new $800.00 air compressor and the engine clean-up involved.

OK. Looks like I'm out voted. Hopefully this compressor lasts as long as I do. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Sunny Jim; 01-17-2018 at 05:31 PM. Reason: new information

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    I have a Mercury 250XS, serial #OT818648. Is there an air compressor rebuild kit available for this motor? I am considering doing it as ordinary maintenance at some point, if it is available.
    No.

3. Member
    The rod bearing inside is what often blows up. There is no rebuild kit for this. They use to have something I believe that allowed you to change out the top portion but I am not sure of that and it no longer exists. I found mine for 700 delivered. Remember to replace the inline oil filters. There r 3 of them. And of course prime your oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post

After Savage's "no" reply" I would like to know if anyone has done this themselves with necessary gaskets and other required parts? Seems that a little preventive maintenance beats a new $800.00 air compressor and the engine clean-up involved.

There really is no reason to. There was rash of them last year but I think that was solved by the service bulletin replacing the reed plate. I’ve had one that went over 1000 hours and one that went 380ish. Who knows...just run and deal with it if it lets go. Meddling with it is just asking for trouble IMO.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Jim:

There is no rebuild kit available... and even if there were, I would not rebuild or replace a perfectly good compressor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor