Thread: Panoptix Help

Panoptix Help

Thanks in advance guys.
    I am a Humminbird guy simply because of the Lakemaster Maps on the Big 4 in north Mississippi, hard to beat the uses of this mapping.
    With that said, my transom mount 360 has quit and I am looking for something to replace it with whether it is another 360 or what.
    I slow troll (push minners) most of the time fishing 8 poles in a fan spider rigging. I do not think a trolling motor mounted panoptix will see many of the baits but thought that the transom mount on would being as it will be about 35 feet behind the baits.
    I am totally green to this technology, totally and any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Another question I have is, how well does the side view work at slower speeds, like .4 mph to .8mph?

PS: I am running a Ulterra too so figured that pretty much ruled out the trolling motor mount.

2. Banned
    I've never tried my ps-21 in your scenario, but I'm wondering....how were you using the 360 for that? did you have it scanning while trolling?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    I've never tried my ps-21 in your scenario, but I'm wondering....how were you using the 360 for that? did you have it scanning while trolling?
    I was, 3/4oz lead and bigger and I could see the rigs. When the 360 come out it was the stuff, for me anyway, but think the Panoptix is ahead of it a good bit. I usually scanned forward only with a 90 degree cone.

4. Banned
    you might pick up all of your baits with a Panoptix. with a 40deg cone and only 35 ft back, I'm thinking it'll work.

5. Member
    If it would pick up the middle 6 I would be happy. Now I got to start looking at units.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rees Guide View Post
    Thanks in advance guys.
    I am a Humminbird guy simply because of the Lakemaster Maps on the Big 4 in north Mississippi, hard to beat the uses of this mapping.
    With that said, my transom mount 360 has quit and I am looking for something to replace it with whether it is another 360 or what.
    I slow troll (push minners) most of the time fishing 8 poles in a fan spider rigging. I do not think a trolling motor mounted panoptix will see many of the baits but thought that the transom mount on would being as it will be about 35 feet behind the baits.
    I am totally green to this technology, totally and any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Another question I have is, how well does the side view work at slower speeds, like .4 mph to .8mph?

PS: I am running a Ulterra too so figured that pretty much ruled out the trolling motor mount.
    I can't figure out what you are doing. Are you spider rigging for crappie? In front or behind the boat or both? How deep is the water? How far away from the boat/transducer will your baits be?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I believe the regular ps21 has a 40* cone and the transom has a 20*?

So the ps21 may see your spread rigs better

I have a ps21 on my trolling moter but dont troll. But I can turn the motor to find a school of crappie etc and then go over the school and vrtical jig. I'm sure this would work to troll over them.

I have a PS21 for sale. Pm me if interested

8. Banned
    John,I have the same setup. My ps21 is mounted on a stick. It sits about a foot in back of the rod handles when they are in the holders. With 6 rods out I can see the 4 inside baits. I can turn the ducer to watch the outside ones. This is with 14' rods. Its pretty cool seeing the fish hit your bait. By the way Im Wilbur from cdc.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I can't figure out what you are doing. Are you spider rigging for crappie? In front or behind the boat or both? How deep is the water? How far away from the boat/transducer will your baits be?
    Spider rigging out the front, 16 foot poles so the baits will be about 35 foot in front of the ducer.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    John,I have the same setup. My ps21 is mounted on a stick. It sits about a foot in back of the rod handles when they are in the holders. With 6 rods out I can see the 4 inside baits. I can turn the ducer to watch the outside ones. This is with 14' rods. Its pretty cool seeing the fish hit your bait. By the way Im Wilbur from cdc.
    Cool, trying to avoid putting anything else off the front. Wonder if the ps21 could be mounted on the transom? With the 360 I scanned just a small cone so I think it would work.

11. Banned

12. Member
    I think Rocket Man made a good suggestion of putting it on a stick. Keep in mind that the functional effectiveness of the cone angles. The 20 degree vs 45 degree is quite relevant at close ranges. At long ranges both only pick up in the stronger center of the cone.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.