Clarification- Idler Arm Spring vs Nut

Hi all,

Just need a clarification on the torque specs posted here regarding the Idler Arm:http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=668664

Is the Idler Arm "Nut" the one on top of the spring? Or the nut on the Idler pulley? My serial is 0G826471.

EDIT: So I checked my manual and it shows that this screw should be 16.6 ft lbs. Problem is, when I tighten it that much, the idler arm just sticks and no spring action. The manual also shows a removeable bushing that the screw goes into. I looked at mine and there are threads inside this bushing, but the screw is not making contact with them.

So I guess my question now is: is the idler arm supposed to pivot on the screw, or the bushing? If its the bushing then mine must be broken.

Thanks
    Last edited by hstechfl; 01-15-2018 at 01:22 PM.

2. Banned
    I assume this is a Mercury DFI Engine. If so the parts breakdown shows both to be Screws not nuts. And I would also think that the one on the top of the idler arm (spring) would be the higher torque value. Post this question to Don.
    He will get you right.

3. Member
    Yes the one on the spring is a screw. The way I'm interpreting this should be 75 inch pounds. I tightened to 35 ft pounds and the arm is locked down. Just want to verify I'm reading these right.