Anyone keep rods on drivers side of there 198 ?

I've always keep my rods on passenger side but as I fish more and more by myself I wondered if it be better to put more tackle on passenger side, rods to the drivers side. I do have a duel console so that would be the same. Also have took out the rod organizer tubes and moosehead already. Anyone do this and not like it ?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Not a 198 but ard side my rods are in the starboard side locker and tackle along with vests etc are in the port side locker.

3. Member
    Have you found any negatives doing this ?

4. Banned
    I keep my light stuff (life vest, throw cushion, net, maps) in the stbd locker because it weighs less than my 11 rods do. I really wish I could put the rods in the center box and the Plano boxes on the left to even out my weight.

I thought I was going to love the rod organizer, but after the first time trying to use it I took them out. Dang tubes are too small to get the rod eyes into safely without snagging. Then I put them back in to try them again, then I took them back out. I ended up making my own and it works 100 times better than the moose style does.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by grout-scout; 01-13-2018 at 04:12 PM.

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    My rods are in the starboard (driver) side. Heavier stuff in port side to off-set my weight. I see no disadvantages.

6. Member
    I'm not fond of the rod storage system in my boat and am thinking of switching my rods to the starboard locker. I don't like the moose style either Grout.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

7. Member
    My rods are in the starboard side. I fish by myself mostly and have the lions share of tackle in the port side locker. I have several plano 3700 ? in the center locker along with my pfds and net. I don't care for the moosehead either but haven't attempted to improve on it.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    200 ELITE DC , use both lockers for rods, Moosehead on port and homemade foam on starboard. All tackle in center locker and everything heavy in back.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Not a 198 but ard side my rods are in the starboard side locker and tackle along with vests etc are in the port side locker.

This.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

10. Member
    i have found that too that the eyes are too small
    where can you get a larger tube
    lund and ranger has them

when I had my 06 198 I had all of my rods in the locker on the pass side and lighter stuff on the drivers side.
    I didn't have the Moosehead rod rack in my boat long it didn't hold enough so I took it out. used rod gloves for them to keep from tangling up and it worked way better

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I have the Moosehead in my 198. I have never had difficulty with the rod eyes slipping into the tubes....however, I use rod sleeves and then put the rods into the tubes.

13. Member
    Since day one. No problems. However I have dual console so I don't see any disadvantage on either side.

14. Member
    I have the rod system in the port side of my Stratos 202. Not a fan of that thing. Takes up a lot of space so all my boxes are on that side and my rods are on the starboard side. Much better in my opinion.
    Dan Mitchell
    2011 Stratos Champion Elite 202
    2021 Mercury Pro XS 225

15. Member

Rods on both sides

I use both sides. I put my spinning rods on driver's side. Still plenty of room for other gear.
    I use center locker for bait boxes and plastics.

My locker piston rods are in the back on both sides making it some what difficult to get longer rods in.

I don't like the Moosehead but tried taking tube section out and that didn't work well.

2006 198 Elite DC
    Yamaha 225 HPDI

16. Member
    The only negative that I would see is if you are using too long of a rod it could get tangled in your wiring since most everything but the tm runs up that side.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy M View Post

I don't like the Moosehead but tried taking tube section out and that didn't work well.
    it will come out I took mine out of my 198 when I had it

18. Member
    I took the tube section out, but that didn't work well, Rods kept getting hung up. Not sure what was happening up in there.

Rods go in easily on drivers side no moose-head.

2006 198 Elite DC
    Yamaha 225 HPDI