Thread: atlas or bobs??

atlas or bobs??

gonna change from the slidemaster on my 17 z520c to a hydraulic plate, had atlas on previous boats. pros and cons to atlas compared to bobs???

This was asked on the Legend board.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=868859

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I have owned both and both are good. My recollection is Bob's is a little faster and a little smoother.

Will probably buy Bob's next time but Atlas is a good plate

4. Banned
    Atlas can get you Atlas Rewards through TH Marine's contingency program, not sure what Bobs offers?

5. Member
    Bob's is much smoother and faster ,
    2002 520dvx Ranger
    2014 225 mercury pro xs
    Garmin livescope-126sv ,
    Humminbird 859,
    Garmin 126sv ,
    helix 10 SI
    dual - pro powerpole
    112 ultrex

I personally prefer the Atlas.

7. Member
    I have had a Bobs for the last 9 years, and have liked it, but have ordered an Atlas on my next one. My main reason for the switch is that everything is outside on an Atlas, as opposed to pump and reservoir being inside the sump on a Bob's. I have had issues over the years with water contaminating my hydraulic reservoir and now make changing the fluid and annual winter event, that is not much fun. I also like that the Atlas does not require regular greasing whereas my Bobs does, and usually when I'm away at a tourney without my grease gun.

I have enjoyed my Bob's and wouldn't hesitate to own another one, but the Atlas just looked cleaner and easier to me.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

8. Member
    thanks guys... ive had 2 atlas on 2 previous boats, no issues with either.. friends i have talked to around here that have bobs also mentioned the need to grease often. like the powder coat idea on the bobs, but thinking ill stick with the atlas...at least thats my thinking for now..

Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    I have had a Bobs for the last 9 years, and have liked it, but have ordered an Atlas on my next one. My main reason for the switch is that everything is outside on an Atlas, as opposed to pump and reservoir being inside the sump on a Bob's. I have had issues over the years with water contaminating my hydraulic reservoir and now make changing the fluid and annual winter event, that is not much fun. I also like that the Atlas does not require regular greasing whereas my Bobs does, and usually when I'm away at a tourney without my grease gun.

I have enjoyed my Bob's and wouldn't hesitate to own another one, but the Atlas just looked cleaner and easier to me.
    Bobs is internal now with the action series. ����
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by fishing122 View Post
    Bobs is internal now with the action series. ����
    wanted to say this as well... but bobs also has tournament rewards now, also "having to grease often"? Sounds better than never lubracating but relying on the composite rods to produce there own lubricant by wearing itself down...

Only reason I may get an atlas at this point is ranger doesn't sell bobs. Ps look at the offshore race boats that often jump out out of the water with 400hp hanging off it it's always on a bobs.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

My atlas broke in 2 months. Owned 3 different bobs plates without ever having a problem. Ordered my 4th for my new boat to replace the atlas should be here this week
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

12. Member
    Had both and both worked fine , running atlas now that came with the boat . As far as looks atlas .
    2018 Z520L , 250 pro xs, ultrex 112 , hds 16 carbon , hds 12 carbon both on bbt mounts. Dual power poles

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBassr View Post
    I personally prefer the Atlas.
    Yes sir, me also!! Had great luck with all Atlas plates I have sold since Bill came out with them, I think we replaced one and that was because the decal came off!!

Love my Atlas!