225 Optimax Specific Overheat Issue

I have a 2004 225hp Optimax that overheats if not left to cool down long enough. Basically I can run short or long distance no problem, shut down and fish awhile then take off with no issue. The problem is if I run somewhere and only fish a short time say under 10-15 minutes when I start the motor the smart craft will show temp at 170 or higher. My buzzer will go off. If I gun it real quick It cools right down and I'm fine. Worried that I'm doing damage and would like to find a solution. I've had the water pump replaced along with the thermostats. Don't want to just start throwing parts at it. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Doesn't really sound uncommon to me but I'm no mechanic. Once the water stops flowing through it the temp will rise for a while. Something that might help is when you are approaching your stop , idle down for better part of a minute if you can stand it. Easy on the warmup is also good to be easy on the cool down. My motor does pretty much the same thing. It may not quite make it to 170 but it cools off immediately upon startup. My buzzer does not go off.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    I've had this motor since 08 and have put almost 700 hours on it and this just started about 5-6 months ago. Something has changed as I'm easier on it now than I used to be. As to the idle down option I have done that as a lot of the places I fish have no wake areas that must be idled in. Doesn't seem to make any difference. I've never had overheat issues at all. Don't know of anyone having this issue either.

Post your serial number and Don or Savagw will help.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LunkerLarry View Post
    I have a 2004 225hp Optimax that overheats if not left to cool down long enough. Basically I can run short or long distance no problem, shut down and fish awhile then take off with no issue. The problem is if I run somewhere and only fish a short time say under 10-15 minutes when I start the motor the smart craft will show temp at 170 or higher. My buzzer will go off. If I gun it real quick It cools right down and I'm fine. Worried that I'm doing damage and would like to find a solution. I've had the water pump replaced along with the thermostats. Don't want to just start throwing parts at it. Any ideas?
    Was the compressor strainer cleaned same time as water pump and t-stats (when were they done)?

Compressor STRAINER Cleaning
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax