XI5 and Lowrance usage

Hi Guys, Im thinking about getting a new TM with anchor/spot lock. I have researched the differences between the xi5 and ultrex, i like the idea of the ultrex and it looks to be more like what I'm used to since i have cable steer. I have a hds 12 gen 3 and a 7 gen 3 and I know the motorguide will link with them, but im not sold on the foot pedal. I do shallow water bass fish (around docks, creek runs, etc.). I also fish humps and structure when the need is there. Hence wanting the anchor feature. My question is do you guys running the xi5 setup with lowrance use that feature that often or just so so. If its not used by bass guys that much, I'm leaning more towards the ultrex. Thanks in advance for your imput. Lot of money to spend without studying about it.

2. Member
    I use it offshore when fishing waypoints. I will get in the vicinity of the waypoint, drop the Xi5 and on the HDS, select go to the waypoint. I will also select areas on the map while out on the water and have it go there or troll to a spot. Really though, I could live without it. But for your type of fishing, Ultrex all they way. An Ultrex will be on my next boat.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

I use it quite a bit while off shore fishing.
    While idling around I will see things on side imagining and mark some waypoints.
    Once I have a few I will go back and fish them.
    Fishing docks I wouldn't use it. I really like the xi5 and have no intention on switching.

" Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Member
    Thank you thats helpful

5. Member
    I fish primarily deeper structure and love the XI5. If fishing a lot of timber, docks or other tight areas, I think the Ultrex would probably be a better option.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mak747 View Post
    I fish primarily deeper structure and love the XI5. If fishing a lot of timber, docks or other tight areas, I think the Ultrex would probably be a better option.
    +1

My thoughts....xi5 footpedal is hard to get use to and easy to say it sucks. I modified mine a bit which helped tremendously. Might be tricky in close quarters for most but I will not give up my clean deck and wireless footpedal for anything. I use lowrance display always.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    My thoughts....xi5 footpedal is hard to get use to and easy to say it sucks. I modified mine a bit which helped tremendously. Might be tricky in close quarters for most but I will not give up my clean deck and wireless footpedal for anything. I use lowrance display always.
    care to share your modification?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post

thanks