Thread: Feb fishing

Feb fishing

I have been here for 1 1/2 now and my buddy is coming down from Pa in February to fish. We fished about the same time last year. Where is the best fishing this time of year? I haven't adjusted yet to the spawning patterns yet being from PA. We went to big O last year and caught numbers but biggest just over 5lbs. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Sunny warm days around the moon phase in shallow water from now until March/April.
    Bass start to spawn in December in the southern part of the state and a little later as you go farther north.
    The key is good clean water and hard/sandy bottom with vegetation for protection. my .02 cents

3. Member
    Thanks. I was thinking more on body of water. Toho, Kissimmee or okeechobee. I live in Weeki wachee and have fished Rousseau, Henderson, Panasoffkee, Hernando or Tsala Apopka

4. Member
    Are you looking for pure bed fishing? For a trip I am a huge fan of Kissimmee chain. Multiple lakes attached and you can lock into TOHO if you put in on Kiss. Every style of fishing you can do in Florida is to be had on that chain. You can be throwing a rattle bait in Cypress and in 10 minutes be flipping matts on Kissimmee. Also, that time of year you have several options for wind protection. We all know bass generally spawn in the same areas year after year, however, in this state timing is always different. If you and your friend are taking several days off I would remain flexible and follow the fish. Pick a lake or chain of lakes and if it is off drive to another one. Last year my first bedding fish was caught in DEC and my last in May.

5. Member
    Thanks. That was my thoughts also was Kissimmee. We have five days of fishing. I think we will fish up north a day to see what is happening and make the decision then. Hope we can find a place to stay if need be.

6. Member
    Camp Mack on Lake Kissimmee. Good place to stay.

7. Member
    Thanks. I stayed there for my first trip there last year. Had a slip which is nice.