Where to buy jigs?

Need some recommendations of online places to buy feather and/or hair crappie jigs. I can buy some hand tied stuff somewhat locally for about $.40/each but the selection is limited. You guys have any preferences or advice?

2. Member
    some guys from CDC and TFF are dansjigs.com, slabbedsilly.com, pepop. A bunch of others that do amazing work. Skip at Thump It jigs also, but he may be ramping down a bit. Ronnie McKeee, stumphunter, crappiedreamer. Just go over to either place and you will get some ideas. Never hear a bad comment. I have personally dealt with Danny Matthews at dansjigs more than once. Look him up, or some of the others. Good stuff for sure.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSComanche View Post
    Need some recommendations of online places to buy feather and/or hair crappie jigs. I can buy some hand tied stuff somewhat locally for about $.40/each but the selection is limited. You guys have any preferences or advice?
    Forty cents for a good hand tie with plenty of material is a heck of a bargain. I'd think that feller was just about giving them away so he could tie some more. If they're working I'd keep on using that guy.

Jerry's Jigs...none better.

http://www.jigginjerry.com/
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    If you buy online your going to pay well over .40 to .50 a jg. I have even seen some go $2 a jig. I have seen nothing but absolute praises about jigginjeryy jigs. I have not used them as I have a local shop that ties most of mine but I plan on trying him out eventually.

6. Member
    I buy the BPS jigs 10 to a card for 1.88. Those JigginJerry jigs look very good. We rarely use anything other than plastics, not much action on the hair/feather jigs in our parts. They seem to work best in the winter or heat of summer here if no plastics are working. You guys using these year round?

7. Member
    Well, I am using nothing but feather (neck hackle or marabou, or combo) since starting to tie earlier last year. Not saying there isn't a place for both, or either. Having good success with it. Am happy to be doing it. Not saying one is better than the other. I will say I am tracking a couple of them, and I am nearing 125 on a marabou and over 150 on a hackle.

Used to switch back and forth between plastics and hand ties, but this year, the plastics have stayed hot..bigger, the better.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

9. Member
    Until recently I have used plastic 99% of the time. My sometimes fishing partner ties his own, both hair and maribou, and uses them year round. In cold weather, the fish on our lake will not hit a big lure. I've always told myself that plastics were just as good as hand tied but his success in our cold water with smaller profile hand tied jigs(and my lack of success haha) has me thinking I shouldn't be so stubborn. I appreciate all the suggestions.

10. Member
    Call 1 800 305 9866 ask them or a catalog Grizzly jig company very good people one the best crappie catalogs there!!!!!!

The colder the water , the smaller the jig and less movement.. I go with a 1/32 or 1/64 hair jig when the water gets in the 30's

Check out Grandpa Jig company.com

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfishingstud View Post
    Check out Grandpa Jig company.com
    Have been buying some of Grandpa's jigs at a hole in the wall sport shop. Pricing is reasonable. Thanks for the heads up on the website.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfishingstud View Post
    The colder the water , the smaller the jig and less movement.. I go with a 1/32 or 1/64 hair jig when the water gets in the 30's
    Why smaller do you think? There's nothing left in the food chain that hasn't grown or been consumed, so only larger prey should be what survived and is available. Not saying you're incorrect, just asking why we think along those paths. Last couple of years I've been staying 2 1/4" and above and can't say I've seen a negative

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Why smaller do you think? There's nothing left in the food chain that hasn't grown or been consumed, so only larger prey should be what survived and is available. Not saying you're incorrect, just asking why we think along those paths. Last couple of years I've been staying 2 1/4" and above and can't say I've seen a negative
    I think along similar lines. It's kind of a match the hatch mentality for us. We never use anything less than 1/16 oz jigs and the smallest baits are 1 1/2 inches long. Ice fishermen do very well on the smaller stuff but it seems a lot of times they are catching smaller fish. I always say that if it works for you keep on using it.

16. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Here on Lake Fork from December to the end of February, we are required to keep every fish we catch until we reach the creel limit of 25. I fish a 2.75" bait to minimize catching the smaller fish... it works some days, some not.

17. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I have bought some dandy handmade jigs on Texas fishing forums.Go to crappie thread and then to jigmakers. If you see any you like send them a pm.