map question with echomap units

Are they 100% restricted to the maps built into the device?

You get one update to the maps? How does the unit know its been updated and do the maps update just come along with the software update that periodically come out?

Can I use any map chips at all with them? Boat lanes, even a garmin lakes chip? Navionics?

Thanks

With the echoMAPs and inland fishing, you have the built-in LakeVu HD, and you have the accessory LakeVu HD Ultra map card See differences highlighted here:

HD vs Ultra.JPG

Map update is totally separate from MFD software updates. If you watch when your echoMAP boots up, it indicates specific mapping version at bottom. You can also dig into the unit menu to view your current built-in mapping version.

Garmin recently acquired Navionics, so at some point in the future the Navionics mapping content will be incorporated for Garmin users.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    With the echoMAPs and inland fishing, you have the built-in LakeVu HD, and you have the accessory LakeVu HD Ultra map card See differences highlighted here:

Map update is totally separate from MFD software updates. If you watch when your echoMAP boots up, it indicates specific mapping version at bottom. You can also dig into the unit menu to view your current built-in mapping version.

Garmin recently acquired Navionics, so at some point in the future the Navionics mapping content will be incorporated for Garmin users.
    So how do you update your maps then seperately? With an update file on SD?

thanks for the response.

4. Member
    ..and if you buy the lakeview hd ultra, that card is occupying your card slot. Can you not have a card in there to do map drawing?

Easiest way to do map updates is to call Support and ask them to send you the update on an SD card. The Ultra cards are designed to handle QuickDraw recording directly on the Ultra card (user files can also be backed up to the Ultra card).
    Garmin Pro Team

6. Member
    Easiest way to do map updates is to call Support and ask them to send you the update on an SD card.
    Todd
    Probably right under my nose but could you please post that support number to call for an update sd card.

Thanks

7. Member
    your update card will have to be left in the mfd because echomaps dont have enough memory also to take update.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
    your update card will have to be left in the mfd because echomaps dont have enough memory also to take update.
    Do youmran it has to stay in the slot? You can’t use it to update and then take out?

does it have additional room to do the drawing contours option?

9. Member
    yes card has to stay in

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by joho5 View Post
    Do youmran it has to stay in the slot? You can’t use it to update and then take out?

does it have additional room to do the drawing contours option?
    This only applies for 2015-2016 echoMAP units preloaded with LakeVu HD. Preloaded mapping updates are too large to fit in the echoMAP memory. Users will have to keep the updated mapping card in the unit.

The newer echoMAPs coming out of the factory after May 3 2017 will already include the 2017 preloaded mapping, and will have enough internal memory to allow for the preloaded mapping update in 2018 and beyond.
    Garmin Pro Team

11. Member
    What is the time frame for the map update? One a year, one for the life of the unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    What is the time frame for the map update? One a year, one for the life of the unit?
    Here is info regarding the free update:

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/marine/programs.html
    Garmin Pro Team

13. Member
    First, I have to give a big shout out to Garmin support. Called and a rep. answered the phone on the 2nd ring.
    My Garmin express account has never shown any map update available. They requested proof of purchase receipt with date and gave me an email address to send it to.
    Within hours, they responded explaining there was glitch with the units registration numbers , fixed the problem and pushed the map updates to my express account. Nice.
    Have 2 units. The 1st download took about 45 min. and the 2nd took about 15min.

Next day i am trying to register my Panoptix transducers and the PS21 registration says invalid number.
    Another call to support and they answer on the 1st ring!
    The rep. took my info and registered the PS21 from his end. Done deal.

The map update download was approx. 5.5G and the Quickdraw update download was approx. .5G
    Have about 24.5G left on 32G card.
    Granted the chip has to remain in the unit for the map update, but leaving the chip in should be fine for my uses.

Put the chip in the unit and seems to work fine, with one exception so far.
    Depth colors will not show if you insert the chip after the 93sv is turned on.
    Depth colors show as setup in the unit if the chip is inserted before starting the 93sv
    I was inserting/ removing the chip to see if I could see a difference in the map versions.

Is there a place/page that shows what lakes have been updated from one version to the next?

Note..The SD update card Todd spoke about earlier in the thread is only for those that had purchased a separate map card, not the built in maps on Echomap units. Echomap units are a download only.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Todd
    Probably right under my nose but could you please post that support number to call for an update sd card.

Thanks
    1 800 800 1020