ALX Zolo vs. GLoomis mossyback series for jig/worm rod

Just curious to see everybodys thoughts on a comparison between the two. I have an old mossyback rod but have never held an ALX but everybody seems to have good things to say about them. Theres really no pro shops around me where I can see any rods.

2. Member
    i have the toadface, dragger and brawler. I like them a lot.

3. Member
    I hear great things about the ALX rods. I have not used any and all my rods are G. Loomis. It appears as if the ALX have microguides and split grips and are probably lighter weight than the Loomis. That being said, I prefer full grips and standard sized guides.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    I hear great things about the ALX rods. I have not used any and all my rods are G. Loomis. It appears as if the ALX have microguides and split grips and are probably lighter weight than the Loomis. That being said, I prefer full grips and standard sized guides.
    What is it about the full length handles and guides that you like better? just out of curiosity.

I have the following ALXs 1 Toad, 1 Deputy, 1 Crank, 1 Twitch and 1 custom built for skipping in casting rods. I've never fished a Loomis but that's all my partner has and he is seriously thinking about switching, after using mine. He is going with me tomorrow to the NC Fishing Show to check out all of Alex's lineup.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I have the following ALXs 1 Toad, 1 Deputy, 1 Crank, 1 Twitch and 1 custom built for skipping in casting rods. I've never fished a Loomis but that's all my partner has and he is seriously thinking about switching, after using mine. He is going with me tomorrow to the NC Fishing Show to check out all of Alex's lineup.
    The deputy is the rod I'm thinking of getting for jogs/worms. How do you like that specific rod?

The Deputy is my favorite all round rod. I use it strictly for jigs, which is my favorite way to fish. It is in my hand 50% of the time. You won't go wrong with any of these rods. When you have time call Alex and tell him what you like to fish and the weight rod you prefer. He will steer you in the right direction.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAC29 View Post
    What is it about the full length handles and guides that you like better? just out of curiosity.
    I guess I am just old school with the full grips. I actually have a new GLX Loomis with the split grip that I am getting used to using. Regarding the microguides, they would have been great for me ten years ago, but I can't see without reading glasses and threading my line through microguides is very aggravating. Just a personal preference thing really.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAC29 View Post
    The deputy is the rod I'm thinking of getting for jogs/worms. How do you like that specific rod?

You will love the Deputy, I use it for close quarters jig n worm fishing. Its loads and skips a 1/2 oz jig into brush like no other. I use 15lb flouro and a Lews reel has plenty of backbone to horse them out of brush. As for the split handle it makes you repeatedly grab the rod the same way each time for accuracy I feel.

I guess I am just old school with the full grips. I actually have a new GLX Loomis with the split grip that I am getting used to using. Regarding the microguides, they would have been great for me ten years ago, but I can't see without reading glasses and threading my line through microguides is very aggravating. Just a personal preference thing really.
    Noticed your comment about the reading glasses and have the same issue. This year, I purchased a pair of Thin Optics glasses with a plastic case that I attached to the back of my Iphone case. Cost $20. The plastic case has a strip of dual sided tape. Best way to have a pair of glasses handy since I always have my cell phone on me and carrying it in my shirt pocket. The strength range is not as detailed as regular glasses and I would lean more to the high side of what you need, than the low side. https://www.thinoptics.com Helps more when tying lures on than stringing line. Btw, sticky back tape started moving, so took the plastic case off the iphone case, cleaned it, and reattached with contact cement.
    Last edited by nikldac; 01-12-2018 at 02:16 PM.

We use a midmicro guide - not a micro. It's only 1mm smaller than the guides you are used to and very easy to thread. I have found that I now rely on a pair of readers all day, but don't need them threading a guide. As for full grips, we can always build one with a full grip to your specs. Since we build everything in house, that's a very easy customization if needed. No reason to miss out because it's something we can definitely do! (and we could use larger guides if we're building one for you!)

Give us a shout at 866-628-5052, M-F 8AM-5PM and we can get you set up!

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    We use a midmicro guide - not a micro. It's only 1mm smaller than the guides you are used to and very easy to thread. I have found that I now rely on a pair of readers all day, but don't need them threading a guide. As for full grips, we can always build one with a full grip to your specs. Since we build everything in house, that's a very easy customization if needed. No reason to miss out because it's something we can definitely do! (and we could use larger guides if we're building one for you!)

Give us a shout at 866-628-5052, M-F 8AM-5PM and we can get you set up!
    Alex will go out of his way to build you exactly what you are looking for. I received a custom build from him this past Friday it was everything I asked, was in this rod. I recommend very few people and without hesitation I recommend Alex and his staff.

I've got two deputies, 2 toadface, a dragger and a couple others that I don't remember name. You will love the ALX I have turned two Loomis fans into alx guys. I think you would like the dragger or toadface for t rigs and jigs but the deputy will do fine too. Really a matter of personal preference.