Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    I think you got it backwards, to fight a fish around debris you want a high speed reel not slow. I use 8 to 8.5 on all my jigs plastics etc so I can turn them and get them away from the snags.
    I completely agree. But, years ago the pros said to use low speed reels for flipping.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

2. Scraps
    I have one 5:1 BB1 used for deep cranking. Everything else is 6.4! or 7:1 for flipping. I've experimented a little, fish a lot of shallow tidal water and crank a lot. What I found when cranking shallow and moving the boat at a decent clip, it takes some work to keep up to the bait if using a 5:1. Too much work so my workhorse for this sitch is the 6.4:1 and nothing less. I will also say, I've experimented with the 5:1 BB1 with multi-stop anti-reverse in shallow water and it does give a little more feel of what you're fishing through. May have to search for the BB1H which was the 6.4:1 with multi-stop anti-reverse.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I like a 5.5:1 or so for deep cranking...it doesn't tire my hands out as bad as a faster geared reel for that application. In fact, I use reels like that for about all of my crankbaits, even squarebills and medium divers. For Spinnerbaits, I will generally use something in the 6.5:1. Most of my faster reels are used for topwaters or plastics.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I use 7.1:1 most of the time. In December I won back-to-back club tournaments cranking Rapalas in 39 to 42 degree water. I swept one and won everything but second and half of third in the other including lunker both days. You don't need a slow reel to fish slow. I hate to waste time if I want my lure back to cast again. That, and I'm old and in a hurry, and can't afford different reels for Summer and Winter.
    that depends on the crank you were using with that high gear ratio. Were you using a shad rap? If so, they require a higher ratio just to get those damn things moving.

now try cranking a lucky craft D20, or due realist g87 20A with a 7.xx ratio and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Elite203 View Post
    that depends on the crank you were using with that high gear ratio. Were you using a shad rap? If so, they require a higher ratio just to get those damn things moving.

now try cranking a lucky craft D20, or due realist g87 20A with a 7.xx ratio and report back.
    Reporting. I have used a 7:1 Steez A for cranking a 6 and 8XD regularly, among many other 7 ratio reels. The G87 20A is a newcomer and I like it, but I'm a huge Flat CB20 fan and generally speaking 7 higher end reels from Daiwa and Shimano have presented no problems for me. It's about discipline and being able to be patient with your retrieve rather than relying on the gearing to do all the work for you. I can speed up quickly on those subtle deep crank bites that happen far more often than a solid crushing of the bait. Whether it matters to anyone or not, Aaron Martens deep cranks successfully with 7 ratio + reels and has a lot to say on the subject. To each their own however, fortunately they make lots of great gear to satisfy the personal preferences of a wide variety of anglers!

6. Member
    Good input. Thanks. I have never tried deep cranking a d20 with a 7.xx ratio reel. Personally, I can imagine getting worn out much sooner on a full day of deep cranking with a d20 with a 7.xx vs a 5.xx... but, I am talking about deep cranking all day.. only doing it for several hours at best might be entirely different.

No low speed reel for me anymore,, all high speed less effort.
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12