Battery question

I read the sticky regarding batteries that meet the requirement. Is there an obvious reason why the Interstate 27M-XHD is not listed as a suitable option for the Opti motors ? I have a 2013 250 Pro XS on a 20' bass boat with a couple graphs and a set of powerpoles. When I look at the battery specs for this battery it seems they meet the suggested minimums , yet they are not on the recommended list of choices. the only reason or difference I can see initially is that it is a wet cell as opposed to an AGM type. Is this the reason ?

I had my boat in for an oil pump prime and general checkover at a dealer who is a sponsor here . I needed to replace a Sears PM 31 cranking battery that I purchased in the fall of 2013. The Interstate 27M-XHD is the battery they recommended and I purchased it. Did I goof ? I would rather correct this if it needs than be irritated later. .What say ye ?
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    What are the specifications for the battery?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    What are the specifications for the battery?
    27M-XHD 27MS 800 1000 182 reserve capacity @25 hours
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    Which number designates.....

MCA?
    CCA?

800 cca

1000mca
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    I could be wrong but I believe Merc recommends an AGM battery, which is why it wouldn't "meet the requirements."

7. Member
    A EXCELLENT battery on the list will have 1150 CCA.
    The battery you purchased only has 800 CCA. Minimum for just the motor.

The battery you bought will start the motor, but it is simply not the BEST Choice for a Bass Boat application. That's why it didn't cost $300+

8. Member
    That's what I was afraid of.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    Dont be afraid. that battery will probably suffice and if not the mercmoniter will let you know. Personal experience. Here is a real good battery for an incredible price...

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...1p30/2100010-P

And it is currently 20% off. I have a similar battery. dont let the label fool you. Look at the numbers... this is a monster of a battery and will keep up with your electronics. But again yours is probably fine.

Cold Cranking Amperage: 950 A
    Cranking Amps: 1185 amps

10. Member
    INcidentally, here is what I purchased from a local boat dealer for about $130.00. Virtually the same specs as the one noted above and absolute works flawlessly

CCA: 950
    CA: 1160
    This is website asks too much for this battery but I wanted you to see that there is not difference and you dont have to pay through the nose to get abig battery...

http://www.powerstridebattery.com/he...-battery-posts

11. Member
    Thanks. I went ahead and got the Interstate while I was at the shop. If it runs more that one year I will be satisfied. If it croaks quickly at or around the one year mark I will switch brands. I don't want to buy a cranking battery each season. Even if it cost more I rather have one that lasts for at least 2 or 3 seasons. The one I replaced was a Sears PM31 that I installed in August of 13 and it started failing in the fall of 17 . I paid north of 300 for that and it lasted basically 4 seasons. So pricewise it comes out just a touch under 100 bucks a year. I just don't want to deal with it every season.
    GETFISHED !!!

12. Member
    I recently got 8 years of reliable service from an Interstate battery. I have 4 boats and Interstates are in all of them, 10 to be exact. I keep maintainers on them 24/7 except when I am gone overnight, to each his own, plus they don't break the bank!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Thanks. I went ahead and got the Interstate while I was at the shop. If it runs more that one year I will be satisfied. If it croaks quickly at or around the one year mark I will switch brands. I don't want to buy a cranking battery each season. Even if it cost more I rather have one that lasts for at least 2 or 3 seasons. The one I replaced was a Sears PM31 that I installed in August of 13 and it started failing in the fall of 17 . I paid north of 300 for that and it lasted basically 4 seasons. So pricewise it comes out just a touch under 100 bucks a year. I just don't want to deal with it every season.
    The 27M-XHD and 24M-XHD have "no coverage" after 12mos - https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...6C5409BA19B01B
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    The 27M-XHD and 24M-XHD have "no coverage" after 12mos - https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...6C5409BA19B01B
    Yea, I am aware of that. No wonder I'm already nervous.
    GETFISHED !!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    So pricewise it comes out just a touch under 100 bucks a year. I just don't want to deal with it every season.
    Only reason I posted the warranty info.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Member
    NAPA has a beast of a battery Part #7234, CCA is 1125 for $164.