Transducer placement for SI

I am planning on putting a helix 10 SI unit on my boat. I have a tracker
    TV18 with no jack plate. Who runs a SI unit on their boat that does not have a jack plate.
    It seems like there is no good place to mount the transducer that the motor
    will not interfere with the left side image. Any advice

2. Member
    Doesn’t the tv18 have the setback transom? I mounted mine in ththe portion that is set back.

A lot of people without jack plates have to trim the motor out a bit while fishing to prevent interference. Just the nature of the thing.

4. Member
    I run a splitter cable and use 2 si transducers one for each side love it.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Quote Originally Posted by blue shad View Post
    I am planning on putting a helix 10 SI unit on my boat. I have a tracker
    TV18 with no jack plate. Who runs a SI unit on their boat that does not have a jack plate.
    It seems like there is no good place to mount the transducer that the motor
    will not interfere with the left side image. Any advice
    This is one of several transducers I use.

Tracker PT 170 TX and ONIX SI transducer using the Transducer Shield and Saver mount.

The horizontal surface has threaded holes for the screws that attach the mount to the hull. No trim-out needed in this location.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    A lot of people without jack plates have to trim the motor out a bit while fishing to prevent interference. Just the nature of the thing.
    I ave a Lund with no jackplate and no trim on the motor. I thought that installing my Helix 9 was going to be a problem of the lower unit blocking the SI. I installed the transducer above the waterline and just to the side of the lower unit. I am happy to report that my SI works fine. I suspect that the transducer beam is narrow enough at that point that it shoots right between the lower unit and the transom. I can't read on plane, but I can still read it just past 5 mph.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Mine is mounted on the transom of my lund and I just have to raise the motor a small amount to get it clear of the transducer. It's not an issue because I raise it some when I'm trolling most the time anyway so I don't hit something.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N
    Dual Power Pole 8' Blades

8. Member
    Wayne P. Are you able to read your SI while up on plane with it mounted like that?

Just noticed your from Charlottesville. I'm originally from the C'ville area myself. Grew up in Crozet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4 View Post
    Wayne P. Are you able to read your SI while up on plane with it mounted like that?

Just noticed your from Charlottesville. I'm originally from the C'ville area myself. Grew up in Crozet.
    No, it is not at the hull bottom. I can just go faster without cavitation when scanning than if attached higher on the transom.

Briery Creek is no place for an on-plane transom transducer:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Banned
    That place looks like a Crappie Motel.

11. Member
    I think I will install it in the area of the set back as Wayne has done.. I will use a separate transducer for 2D with the Y cable.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    This is one of several transducers I use.

Tracker PT 170 TX and ONIX SI transducer using the Transducer Shield and Saver mount.

The horizontal surface has threaded holes for the screws that attach the mount to the hull. No trim-out needed in this location.

Wayne, are you or have you ever used an AlumaDucer? If so what do you think about them for on plane readings?

Quote Originally Posted by volshw1962 View Post
    Wayne, are you or have you ever used an AlumaDucer? If so what do you think about them for on plane readings?
    Yes, I have an Alumaducer in my hull. Put it there before the hull got wet the first time. I knew the factory installed Lowrance transom transducer would not last long on that lake-----it didn't---about 5 minutes. I used the Lowrance unit for awhile before getting Humminbird units. I have not purchased the Humminbird adapter for it. It worked well.

There was a performance report about it a few years ago with a Ranger aluminum hull I think. Do a search for Alumaducer and you will find it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL