question for gearcaseman

Hello,
    I am trying to pull the bearing carrier from a 1970 60 Hp Evinrude with type V gearcase. S/N J10030, Model 60073D.
    I have stripped the threads out of the bearing carrier trying to get the sucker out. Used heat but apparently not enough. Retapped holes to 3/8-16, used a propane torch capable of 3500 degrees with a
    Harmonic Puller. Still no luck.
    What can you suggest next to get this thing out?
    Thanks
    rcb130

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Did you remove the 4 bolt from the front side of carrier.

3. Member
    ChampioNman,
    I did remove the four bolts from the front side.

4. Member
    Well, I don't want to mislead you, but I stopped working on the 40,50,60's when the design changed in '88. What I have done with the larger motors, if the R.B.C. was very stubborn, I will take my reciprocating saw and cut the bridges and make a slice through the outer circumference of the carrier. This never fails, but you have to find another carrier.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearcaseman View Post
    Well, I don't want to mislead you, but I stopped working on the 40,50,60's when the design changed in '88. What I have done with the larger motors, if the R.B.C. was very stubborn, I will take my reciprocating saw and cut the bridges and make a slice through the outer circumference of the carrier. This never fails, but you have to find another carrier.
    I'm sorry, I just realized you are working on a '70 model...O.K., the procedure will be the same and I do have some carriers for these if needed.

6. Member
    gearcaseman,
    When you say "cut the bridges" do you mean the two places on the back side of the carrier where the tapped holes are? Any chance of a pic or sketch showing cutting the bridges and the out circumference?
    If carrier is needed what would $ be?
    Thanks
    rcb130

7. Member
    Yes, That is correct. Then, cut @ 1/4"gap out of the circumference which will relieve the pressure against the inside of the housing. I'm not able to do the picture or sketch due to lack of proper equipment to send. Sorry! Make sure to check if your carrier is the same as the '76 and up version as these are what I have.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Just a quick look on one of the parts sites shows the carrier is part number 0384122 and was used on the 70 and 71 model year motors. Marineengine.com has them for $75.00

9. Member
    Thanks for the info Fred. This was a little before gearcase work and I wasn't sure.

10. Member
    thanks to all who responded.
    gearcaseman, I took the recip saw to the carrier as instructed. sucker is still refusing to come out. I have pried the outer dia of the carrier at the prop end so that it touches the carrier at the seal dia. Still will not come loose. I have soaked the area with penetrating oil. Now that I am missing one of the threaded holes, I need some sugggestions on what to grab the carrier with to either remove it or try to turn it.
    Thanks
    rcb130

11. Member
    O.K., what I would try now is to take a few feet of small chain and wrap around the center portion of the carrier, secure the other end to a sledge hammer and use this as a slide hammer. Spray penetrating fluid around the front of the carrier making sure all securing bolts are removed. It should come out after a few hard jerks with the hammer.

12. Member
    gearcaseman,
    Thanks for the idea. Will try it as soon as the weather warms up a bit. Right now we are at 0 degrees.
    thanks
    rcb130

13. Member
    Can't blame you there !! Make sure your cut out of the circumference is at least 1/4" - 1/2", This will allow you to drive a screwdriver all around the circumference to relieve any pressure it had from the housing.