Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Unused 2017 250 Pro XS Leak

2017 250 Pro XS
    2B401914

I purchased a brand new boat the Friday before Christmas. I brought it home parked her and trimmed the motor all the way down as I knew she was going to sit untouched for awhile with the arctic blast that was about to hit the North East for the next couple weeks with prolonged teen daytime temps and single digit to negative night time temps. The first nicer day was yesterday 42 degrees and sunny so I went out to go play with the boat a bit and the first thing I see is what appears to be oil running down the skeg. I removed the prop and upon further inspection and wiping it seems that it may just be some dirty 2-4-C grease from the factory or when the dealer put the prop on.

When I went to reinstall the prop I noticed hydraulic fluid from the trim on the driveway! Bare in mind there is melting snow where it dripped so the visual I believe appears exaggerated. I placed a piece of cardboard under the trim to leave over night and it seems a few more drips accumulated. This is a brand new boat and motor fresh out of the dealership and parked that has never been in the water. I am assuming the trim fluid may have leaked as a result of the extreme cold weather and the orings contracting. I have the proper Mercury fluid and am going to check the level and top it off if the drip stops when I look again. Should I be concerned about getting the trim resealed even though this thing is literally brand new never ran or just top off the level and as long as it doesn't leak anymore in normal weather conditions be good to go break in come ice out?

2. Member
    Might be that the motor is in "break in mode" doubling the oil consumption but the trim leaking shouldn't be happening

3. Member
    The motor is under warranty, so take it back to the Dealer and have them document and repair the problem.

4. Member
    Back to the dealer quickly!

5. Member
    It looks like it's not going to stop leaking. I purchased the boat from a BPS a distance away. I am going to reach out to my normal Mercury shop about having this checked out under warranty. This is pretty frustrating considering this boat/motor has not been off the trailer since it left the factory.

6. Member
    There is your answer purchased from bps....

7. Member
    Any Mercury Dealer can do the warranty work.

8. Member
    That is really bad!!!

9. Member
    Bring it to a reputable Merc dealer that isn't a big box store and let us know the results.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

Twice when doing an oil prime, I have seen extra DFI oil on the skeg. The oil pump is putting a lot of oil into the motor. I would not be too concerned as long as it is two stroke oil and not gear lube!

The leaking trim fluid should not be there. Level the trailer, and check the trim fluid level. The fluid should be even with the bottom of the screw hole. I would also check the o-ring on the screw.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    ^^ Agreed however it's a brand new boat, and I wouldn't want to be checking these things outside in 5 degree weather, let alone doing them on my brand new rig. Bring it to a Merc dealer and make sure they go over it all. The BPS didn't do a once over before you took it home looks like.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

It is mid-50s there now. I have a lot of family in the area and it was freakin cold for a while.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    take it to your Mercury Dealer

14. Member
    Yeah if bass pro rigged it you might as well take it to yoyr local merc dealer and have it went through. Probably an 18 year old kid with 6 months experience put it together at bass pro

15. Member
    In cold temps never leave the motor trimmed down. Get it off the rods. That pressure in the system and thickening fluid has to go somewhere. We been below freezing here also and just found this out. I've since left it up off of the trim rods and problem solved

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker4lyfe View Post
    In cold temps never leave the motor trimmed down. Get it off the rods. That pressure in the system and thickening fluid has to go somewhere. We been below freezing here also and just found this out. I've since left it up off of the trim rods and problem solved
    Common practice in northern states where we stay well below freezing and storing outdoors is to keep the motor trimmed down so no water gets trapped inside and freezes to cause damage. She's going to see my normal Mercury dealer first week of March to get it all taken care of under warranty.

17. Member
    If you leave your motor trimmed up in these freezing northern weather there is a good chance that you will need a new lower unit. Always keep it trimmed down.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker4lyfe View Post
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    If you leave your motor trimmed up in these freezing northern weather there is a good chance that you will need a new lower unit. Always keep it trimmed down.
    Not if you take proper steps at the boat ramp by turning the motor over and making sure all water is cleared out.

19. Member
    And if it rains while trimmed up, then freezes? "pop".

Down is the right answer.

And "turning over motor" out of the water is a bozo no-no. Don't want to EVER turn the motor over with no water in the water pump. The impeller will overheat in an instant.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

20. Member
    A quick bump does not hurt it one bit. I've always done it with kill switch off on my last 3 Optis and my water pressure and impellers have always been perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast