Mike Lamb

Moving boat around in Garage

I have very tight fit for the boat when I moved up to the 518c. I was wanting to know what others use to move the boat around. I tried the dolly's that you put under the trailer wheels. But that doesnt work at all. Any ideas what I could do?
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

2. Member
    The Go Jacks work.... but they are difficult to use if the wheels are not in the right alignment, and need some running room and umph to get it right.

3. Member
    i'm assuming you have a duel axle on the boat?
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

https://www.trailervalet.com/
    I have used one of these for 5 years easy to maneuver and remove for towing built tough but I have a single axle.

5. Member
    looks like a neat item. I can't tell if poster has a single he is not strong enough to move or a duel that really can't be turned by mortal man. I am still strong enough to turn my single in the garage with relative ease. To get it into the garage I have to jackknife it because I have a 1 inch lip to enter my garage that keeps water out.

big tip I learned. I moved from 50psi Load C to 65psi Load D tires. Much easier to roll; especially after sitting for 4 weeks
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

6. Member
    Here's what I use to move my tandem axle trailer in and out of the garage. Slight downhill slope from the building and without this home made tugger would take two guys at least to roll the boat inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    After several tries to post this pic.........I'm done if this does not work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waco Jack View Post
    After several tries to post this pic.........I'm done if this does not work.
    Looks good. Did you build it yourself or buy it as is?

9. Member
    Built it myself using a Harbor Freight ATV winch motor for power. Go cart parts for the chain & sprockets and aluminum channel which I purchased on line.

Got the idea here: http://www.proud-canadian.com/diy-power-trailer-dolly/ Apparently he moves a camper around with an on-board battery which he uses to power the dolly. Boats don't generally have that option so requires a battery to be mounted on the dolly.

10. Member
    If you have a tandem (2) axle trailer, it will be very difficult to pivot the trailer. Impossible to do by hand unless you are the Hulk and incredible stress is applied to the wheels and axles if some type of motorized contraption is used. Single axle trailer, no problem.

11. Member
    Here's what I use to move my tandem axle trailer in and out of the garage. Slight downhill slope from the building and without this home made tugger would take two guys at least to roll the boat inside.
    Super job

12. Member
    That is awesome. I am looking to make something like this. Do you have a parts list?

Quote Originally Posted by mike28nc View Post
    I have very tight fit for the boat when I moved up to the 518c. I was wanting to know what others use to move the boat around. I tried the dolly's that you put under the trailer wheels. But that doesnt work at all. Any ideas what I could do?
    Curious why the dollies didn’t work. Lots of folks (including me) using them with no problems.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Curious why the dollies didn’t work. Lots of folks (including me) using them with no problems.
    What dolly are you using. I got one from northern tool and it barely moved it. I have a 20ft with a tandem trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Deevo439 View Post
    What dolly are you using. I got one from northern tool and it barely moved it. I have a 20ft with a tandem trailer
    Using a pair of Harbor Freight dollies similar to this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-l...lly-61917.html
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Using a pair of Harbor Freight dollies similar to this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-l...lly-61917.html
    If I didnt have an 1.5in difference between the driveway and garage that would work.

17. Member
    I just got the Go Jacks from Summit Racing....cost a chunk, but they are WAY better than the other set I was using.

There comes a time in a man’s life where he has to take the easy road. I use to pull this one out, crank it, and push it back in a few inches from the wall. At 69 years old, I can still move the 4400 lbs around, but it is much easier with a machine.

19. Member