Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buying a new boat.

Ok got the opportunity to get a new ride !
    Leaning towards a Phoenix
    60-75 is my budget
    Is it worth it to get a new one or would I be better off get one a year old

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Of course it is Cheaper to get one a year or two old but i like new and have a new phoenix 920 arriving in about 3 weeks and ordered what i want on it

3. Member
    Should I ever go back to a glass boat it will definitely be used (1-2 yrs) with plenty of warranty, no way I can see myself buying new with todays prices...

4. Member
    If your going to keep it a while, go for the new one. If you think you might want to get another one in two or three without loosing your #!*, get a used one.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

5. Member
    Look at Bullet 21xrs....look into used boat with new motor and equipment.

No way would I buy new and loose 15-20k right off the bat. Ill take someone's 3-4 year old boat and put a new engine on it. Used engines hold their value well and you could re power for probably 5-6k to have the piece of mind.

Order a new one with exactly what you want on it , or find one on the showroom floor... I struggled with the same decision last fall. Looked at lots of one year old boats - 99% were used by tournament anglers. The big question - how bad was it beat, who broke in the motor, how fast they went over speed bumps with the trailer, etc...

I bought new - never titled before, I broke in the motor personally following Mercury guidelines to the letter, if there is a scratch it will be my fault.....

But - I intend to keep this boat for a long time and did not want one someone else had owned. Odds are guys take good care of them but this way I know exactly how it has been taken care of since it left the factory. It was worth the difference in cost to me...

Besides - I get to the have the new boat smell in my shop all winter :-)
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

8. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Delete

9. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    No way would I buy new and loose 15-20k right off the bat. Ill take someone's 3-4 year old boat and put a new engine on it. Used engines hold their value well and you could re power for probably 5-6k to have the piece of mind.
    put a new engine on it? Those are not that cheap. A new 250 is 15k plus

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    put a new engine on it? Those are not that cheap. A new 250 is 15k plus
    Yea but if you sell the engine on the boat you could repower for about only 5-6k out of pocket. At least that's what I think he is saying.

11. Member
    For that price why not buy a used pro boat with all of the extras already included at a discounted price and still receive a full manufacture warranty?

1 to 5 years old no matter how long your going to keep it. Tons of garage kept low hour boats on the market. The aurgument about getting a new boat set up your way is really BS unless of course you just have to have a certain color. You can set any and all boats up the way you like. The the money you save buying used goes along way toward setting a boat up. Out boards will go well over 1000 hrs properly maintained. I’ve owned Mercury, Johnson and now Yamaha and never a single issue. Now I have to say it’s hard to resist that NEW BOAT smell.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

You don’t get the full warranty on a used Phoenix second owner only gets ten years

14. Member
    I vote new. You get the exact color and options you want, full warranties, and you know how its been broken in and treated. If you sell in a few years you'll be selling a boat with warranties still left on it vs little to no warranty and remaining warranties are a huge selling point with as much as motors and stuff cost no days.

15. Member
    I just went with a demo phoenix. Original owner, discount price....

16. Member
    I buy new on all my purchases for the same reasons mentioned above. I have purchased used many years ago and learned my lesson the hard way.

It's worth the extra cost to me....

M

17. Member
    Went through the same thing myself with a little smaller budget. I was set on ordering a Phoenix 819 but someone convinced me to go look at the Rangers. While on their website, I noticed they had a new 2016 model at the shop so I asked for them to bring it in so I could look at it while I was there.

Ended up buying the 2016 at a reduced rate but had them add everything I wanted onto it. So, if I had to do it again, I’d start off by looking at what the dealers have for New old stock and go from there.

I don’t think buying something new is ever really “worth it” but it does have some advantages. Knowing it hasn’t been beaten to death is one but I got around that since the 2016 has never seen water.

Get exactly what you want, exactly!!! Don’t get an ok color or the wrong brand sonar. I bought a new boat in 2015 and am ok with the price but damn keep thinking I should have spent a few bucks more for exactly what I want! I still can update but what I have works. If it was just all set I wouldn’t have this thought.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I bought a pro Boat 30k below new price. I’m the original owner fist name it’s been titled to. All new warranty. This is my second one and I have been extremely happy with both. I have to know everything about my boats so I started by rewireing them both and making the wires nice and neat. My new one has a few scratches but nothing I can’t live with. I also bought a BassCat because the hull has a lifetime warranty no matter if you’re the first owner or 20th that gave me piece of mind.

No way I'm buying a boat from a wannabe pro .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast