Thread: Trail marking

Question Trail marking

I fish Barkley and Ky. Lakes. I have a HDS Gen. 3 which I use for my waypoints, routes and trails. Many bays I enter off the main channel have very shallow entries which at draw down can become very crucial to entry. Is there a way to have a permanent way to mark the route into the bays besides just entering a waypoint icon?(which I currently use)

2. Member
    You can start a new trail, name it and save it. I run a lot of shallow passes in the back country of the Everglades Park and Florida Keys fishing for tarpon and snook and have quite a few saved trails for short runs that need to be very precise. Set up the new trail before you make your run, run it exactly the way you want then turn off recording on the trail and you will have that from now on.

3. Member
    Thank you. I will save this and try it this spring. I hope it works it will definitely help. Stay safe.

4. Member
    You have 16 Trail colors to choose from also. Use them as needed.

5. Member
    Thanks Kenny.

Make sure you have plenty of leeway. I live on a tree and stump infested lake and there are areas I will not run, even with a good trail. GPS is good, but its not perfect.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

7. Member
    You are exactly right. Better safe than sorry. Thanks.

8. Member
    Yeah that 'trail' thing is something we learned right at the beginning. My wife is the one that is in the boat when it comes off the trailer, then by the time I've parked the truck and in the boat she's got it named and dated, (naming the ramp is something I like).

I can't imagine how we ever found our way back to where we started 30 years ago, trying to use paper maps and all.

We can go back to a lake and whether it's a new trail, or just looking at an old one, we can at least always find our way back to the ramp(s).

On the GPS thing.... adding the Point 1 antenna makes that a very accurate tool. Without it, you literally have no idea of heading, or even whether you're going forward or backwards. Try to mark a stump and you know you're somewhere around it, but it can be left, right, front or back of the boat. With the Point 1 you know your boat position, and heading relative to the spot you mark(ed). Of course for very tight areas where you're in a heavy stump area, (like the 2~3 acre one smack in the middle of Lake Oconee in 30' of water) you'll need to zoom in to the max and you can drop a waypoint / danger flag for every stump there if you like.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave