Strenght of leader vs main line

When using fluorocarbon to braid, what are the differences between the strength of the two lines used. (example = 40lb braid to 15lb fluoro)

2. Member
    25lbs

I'm not sure what you are asking...

the difference in strength between the two would be 25lbs but I am willing to bet you can do simple math so we need a little more explanation lol
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

4. Member
    I would guess that he wants to know the maximum recommended difference in lb test rating between the braid and the fluoro or what lb test most people use for each line when attaching a fluoro leader to braid.

Main line braid should always be the same or heavier. Example; 10lb braid to 6 or 8 lb leader. 30 lb braid to 15lb or 20lb leader.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Not sure if he’s asking this but I have an alternative way of looking at it.

You want to match the diameter of the two lines as closely as you can. In theory, 20 LB Braid should have the same breaking strength as 20 LB Leader. But one has a diameter of 4-6 LB line and the other is the Diameter of 17-25 (depending on which lines you use). This will cause several issues.

General rule of thumb is my braid will always be a higher breaking strength than my leader, but I match the following LB Test Braids with the following LB Tests for Leaders (there is a bit of overlap):

- 8 to 10# Braid with 4 to 8 # Leader on Spinning Gear only
    - 15 to 20 # Braid with 8 to 10 # Leader on Spinning Gear only
    - 30 to 40 # Braid with 10 to 12 # Leader on Spinning or Casting Gear
    - 50 # Braid with 12 to 17 # Leader on Casting Gear only
    - 60 to 65 # Braid with 20 to 25 # Leader for Flipping Sticks Only

Anything over 65 doesn’t get a Leader lol.

7. Member
    I'm more concerned with matching up line diameter than poundage when it comes to Flouro leaders..
    If you get too big of a difference the knot won't hold as well..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

8. Member
    I've never put any research in it but you still have a leader however long that is really light line so what is the benefit of the braid? The fish can still break the leader with it only being 6-10 pound test line.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slaunch View Post
    I've never put any research in it but you still have a leader however long that is really light line so what is the benefit of the braid? The fish can still break the leader with it only being 6-10 pound test line.
    Better feel and better hooksets on longer casts are the main benefits. Fish can and will break any type of line of most every pound test but there's things you can do to counteract it and limit the number of occurrences. Propper rod power for the line you're using and drag settings are huge in this case.

10. Member
    How big of a difference should there be if any?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slaunch View Post
    Less line twist, easier handling and better feel in deep water or long casts than going with straight Flouro..Also braid ends up being alot cheaper because you don't have to replace it as often..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by graybullet View Post
    How big of a difference should there be if any?
    The best way to say what these guys are saying is you want the diameter of your floro and diameter of the braid to be close. Forget the pound test and look at the diameter. I think thats what your asking anyways.

In the past, when I Carolina Rigged, I always used 14 lb. Super Silver Thread for the main line, swivel of course, and a 14 lb. Berkley Trilene XL leader. The leader always broke first, and I never lost the swivel or weight/ticker/bead, ever. I did even more "light C'rigging" (guys around here called it "Splitshotting", but it wasn't) with 8 lb Excalibur to swivel and 8 lb Trilene XL leader, and didn't lose that many weights.

I think the OP is asking about what sort of differential one should use, to be sure that the leader breaks first. A couple weeks ago, I was rigging up for C'rigging again, and again used my SST 14 lb test. Was going to use 10 lb Excalibur leader, but came across some 12 lb South Bend monofil, so used that. After I tied it up, I dug out a micrometer and discovered that the 14 lb SST was smaller diameter than the 12 lb South Bend. Since diameter is a major factor in strength, I'm rather expecting to lose my weights soon. I'm going to use 10 lb Excalibur next time, or maybe SST if I have any.

The C'rig is the only baitcaster setup I use a leader on. I use straight 10 lb FC on a Chronarch for Shakyhead and like it a lot, but not that sold on the FC part...might change to copolymer of some sort. On my DS combos (spinning), I join the braid mainline to the FC leader with a swivel, and like it.