Transferring waypoints between GPSmap 76 and echoMAP CHIRP 54cv

Hi, I'm new to this forum and first searched for a thread on this, but couldn't find anything quite like this, so here goes ...

I'm a long-time Garmin electronics user and just purchased an echoMAP CHIRP 54cv for my boat. I want to replace an older standalone Garmin fishfinder and handheld Garmin GPSmap 76 with this new combo unit. I had an even older Garmin handheld GPS before the GPSmap 76 and I am sure I was able to transfer my waypoints between the two units, but can't recall how. Now I would like to transfer my waypoints from the GPSmap 76 to the echoMAP CHIRP 54cv. Is there any way to do it, other than opening a view to the numeric coordinates on the GPSmap 76 and manually entering each one on the echoMAP CHIRP 54cv? I have a lot of great waypoints for all my favorite fishing holes in there from over the years, so I sure hope there is some way to move them over electronically.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

You need the PC Data Cable (serial) along with Mapsource software

https://www.garmin.com/us/maps/mapsource

A 3rd party program like easygps or gpsbabel may also work instead of MapSource. After the file is off the 76, use Homeport to transfer that file to an SD card, then your echoMAP.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    Thanks for the advice, Todd! When you say "PC data cable," do you mean a cable with USB on one end and on the other, a 4-pin connector like the one on the back of the GPSmap 76? Any ideas on where to find such a thing? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by timweidner View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Todd! When you say "PC data cable," do you mean a cable with USB on one end and on the other, a 4-pin connector like the one on the back of the GPSmap 76? Any ideas on where to find such a thing? Thanks!
    Sorry, I meant to include this link for the PC serial cable:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-10141-00

Of course, you will need a PC with the serial connection, or a serial to USB adapter if your computer doesn't have a serial connection.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    Thanks much, Todd -- I just placed the cable order.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    You need the PC Data Cable (serial) along with Mapsource software

https://www.garmin.com/us/maps/mapsource

A 3rd party program like easygps or gpsbabel may also work instead of MapSource. After the file is off the 76, use Homeport to transfer that file to an SD card, then your echoMAP.
    I have a Garmin Venture with maps/waypoints, I have them now on homeport on my computer. I really want to just transfer my Bluechart waypoints not the fresh, is their a way to do this. Or should I just copy to SD a delete the ones I don't need on my 840xs or 73DV, thanks for any tips.